Deer baiting/attractants advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agb104983

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going up to very northern kansas this weekend for gun season. This is private land and baiting is legal in KS. I haven't used bait/attractants before on this land but since we will only be up there for a few days I've decided to try it. I would be placing them on Friday daytime and would be hunting for the next 48 hours. Any recommendations for quick acting stuff? I have heard good things about deer-cane and apple flavored corn.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deer cane has never worked for me, granted I only tried it a couple times but personally I think it is worthless. Just get you some regular bagged corn, pour it out on the ground, they will find it. If you want some aroma to it go buy a big jug of cheap apple juice, put corn in a 2 gallon ziplock bag and pour juice in it, let it sit overnight ... Instant apple corn...oklahomabassin swears by it. Good luck and post photos and a story of your Kansas giant when you get back!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Corn, deer are winding down rut, it's time for carbs. Dump the biggest pile you can afford, they'll find it. Not sure of what terrain you'll be in, but don't be afraid to dump corn in a cut corn field or an a existing trail to a field. Deer are grouping back up, a few will find it and before long a bunch will be on it. Good luck!

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard that grape kool-aid packets make a good attractant; just poor it over the pile of corn(never tried it). I've also heard vanilla(or vanilla extract) makes a decent attractant and/or scent cover(haven't tried it either, just going off things I've heard through my research).

agb104983

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Corn, deer are winding down rut, it's time for carbs. Dump the biggest pile you can afford, they'll find it. Not sure of what terrain you'll be in, but don't be afraid to dump corn in a cut corn field or an a existing trail to a field. Deer are grouping back up, a few will find it and before long a bunch will be on it. Good luck!

Here's a picture of the land being hunted. It is approximately 200 acres. There is very little tree cover(all farm fields) in this county so the amount of trees on this property is actually higher than most. There is a creek that runs through the area where the trees are. Where the edge of the field ends and trees begin, there is about a 30 foot steep drop off that goes down to a wide Creek bottom area. Basically the tree area is 30 foot below the level of the fields. I was thinking about placing some bait down in the tree/creek area but also some on the west side tree/field border on the southern end of the property. That border area on the west side of the trees on the south end is where I see deer most often in previous years.

This property is capable of some really great deer but I only get the time to visit it for 48 hours during deer season. Last year I didn't see any deer but the year before was my first deer season and I shot this guy. I want to make sure I don't get skunked again this year like last

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at your photo, I'd find the creek crossing since you say its 30' above the farm fields. No corn needed.

BTW, if you use the cool-aid packets, you can see which deer is eating from the corn by looking at their lips. LOL. :D

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Timber I would assume will hold your deer during the day right now. Second rut approaching????? Should be, deer travel and movement other than for feeding, totally a guess for me right now. How do you approach the property, from the NE?

agb104983

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Timber I would assume will hold your deer during the day right now. Second rut approaching????? Should be, deer travel and movement other than for feeding, totally a guess for me right now. How do you approach the property, from the NE?

There is a road that borders the south side of the property and the west side of the property. We park our vehicle at the far north east corner of the property

Latest posts

Top Bottom