deer hunting antler restriction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you see a young buck with a doe you would kill the buck?

What do you call a young buck? If it's a spike, 4-6 point is that a young buck or is it the 1.5-3.5 year old buck regardless of antler size. To answer your question I have not shot a buck smaller than a 7 point in a long time, I would shoot the doe. But then again I am one of those dang meat hunters.

rlt7272

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you go to a check station in NWOK you see mature deer being checked if you go east of I-35 you see tons of 1 1/2 year olds.The folks up there pass on the small ones where as most people will shoot a fork over a doe any day.

I would say that this has alot to do with the number of deer available in NWOK. I have only hunted on the west side a couple of times and I can say in my experence you are much more likely to see multiple bucks in one hunting season than in the same season in SE Oklahoma.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think any thing should change. I would like them to stay the way they are. I intend on taking my sons deer hunting in the next couple of years. I will tell them the "brown its down" rule within the law of course. I want them to have early success. They will be more likely to want to go back. I know this is how I was when I first started. ANY deer sighting got my blood boiling. As I progressed in my hunting skills through life I have become a little pickier in what I shoot. I think this is the natural progression of all hunters. Although if I know the season is almost over and its been a season with few sightings then I will take what I see. My family and I like to eat deer meat. We TRY to manage our herd, but I would rather get something than go home empty handed. I think it depends on the year some years are great and there are lots of deer and some not so great and I dont want to be limited in what I can do. In the end it comes down to the individual hunter.

I really dont like the idea of killing a doe before taking a buck. That is the worst idea I have ever heard. So on opening morning I see the buck of a lifetime and I have to pass because I haven't killed a doe yet....BS.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
True meat hunters know that a doe taste much better, but often the regulations do not allow a doe to be taken during gun season in public areas.

I shoot as many does as the law will allow, but a young buck tastes as good as any doe. I don't want to restrict others hunting habits to benefit mine, and I don't want them forcing restrictions on me either. I've shot my share of horns over the years but it's the meat I was hunting for. Headgear is nice but if that is all someone wants the dang things fall off every winter and you can hunt for them without a tag or a license.

Pat

bigdlong

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont agree with the "Brown its down " rule . I think if a young hunter has to be selective , it makes them better hunters and better game managers .

Latest posts

Top Bottom