72 year old friend wants to deer hunt for the first time but needs a rifle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The guy selling guns after his dad passed has an Enfield No1 MK3 listed for $400. Might be able to make a deal on it but I know NOTHING about Enfields. Maybe? How hard is it to get ammo for those things?
I haven’t looked at that particular one, but they’re usually chambered in .303Brit. Back in the day, it was a very popular milsurp sporting rifle (Tri-City used to have matches for the SMLE variant), so I’d imagine that it’s not terribly difficult to get ammo for it. Then again, I never got into Enfields, so I can’t say that I’ve ever shopped for .303Brit.

The .303’s ballistics are similar to .30-‘06, so it should be good for pretty much any game animal in North America, let alone Oklahoma. I used to know several shooters who preferred the Enfield action to the Mauser action on the 1903 Springfield.

ETA: it looks like Midway has some in stock, but not much selection.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I haven’t looked at that particular one, but they’re usually chambered in .303Brit. Back in the day, it was a very popular milsurp sporting rifle (Tri-City used to have matches for the SMLE variant), so I’d imagine that it’s not terribly difficult to get ammo for it. Then again, I never got into Enfields, so I can’t say that I’ve ever shopped for .303Brit.

The .303’s ballistics are similar to .30-‘06, so it should be good for pretty much any game animal in North America, let alone Oklahoma. I used to know several shooters who preferred the Enfield action to the Mauser action on the 1903 Springfield.

ETA: it looks like Midway has some in stock, but not much selection.
My dad killed a lot of deer with an old British.303 rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom