Deer Hunting Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, let's say I shoot a deer this year because I think I actually have a place to shoot one this year.

My roommate is a cop and is apprehensive about me hanging it in our backyard to clean it because of what neighbors may say and isn't for sure that there is nothing wrong with doing it. We live more or less by the Academy on I-240 and Walker. Is there any reason I shouldn't hang it off the tree in my backyard... and if so where should I hang it?

Next, I want to make sure I read the regulations right. Assuming the landowner is ok with it, i can shoot 2 does and one buck off his land (in zone 2, north of stillwater a few miles) anytime during the regular gun season and one more doe during the christmas break season, which is a full 10 days now, right?

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where you hang and clean a deer is up to you..... some people are okay with it, others think it is gross and disgusting and against human morale or some BS..

I just say, unless it's a huge inconvenience to you, find a back yard or garage somewhere to do it a little more out of the public view.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where you hang and clean a deer is up to you..... some people are okay with it, others think it is gross and disgusting and against human morale or some BS..

I just say, unless it's a huge inconvenience to you, find a back yard or garage somewhere to do it a little more out of the public view.

I'd have to agree with this in a larger town, but in the small towns, hunting is not foreign to the folks that live there, and a deer hanging to be skinned is not a problem.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with this in a larger town, but in the small towns, hunting is not foreign to the folks that live there, and a deer hanging to be skinned is not a problem.

Yeah that is kinda what I am thinking. I am not real close to the landowner yet and don't want to push my luck and try to clean them out there yet, so am looking for other alternatives, but may be able to use his place since I have to give him some of the meat anyways as payment for hunting on his land. if you clean them in your garage, how do you deal with blood dropping to the ground? Does it wash off easy or do you lay cardboard down or....?

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah that is kinda what I am thinking. I am not real close to the landowner yet and don't want to push my luck and try to clean them out there yet, so am looking for other alternatives, but may be able to use his place since I have to give him some of the meat anyways as payment for hunting on his land. if you clean them in your garage, how do you deal with blood dropping to the ground? Does it wash off easy or do you lay cardboard down or....?

Tarp under it works well. Also you can 1/4 it up on the spot and put it in a ice chest.

SDS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure who your roommate works for but there is no law against hanging it. That said, it's kind of warm to be hanging one for long. This time of year I just field dress them and take them to a butcher. If your butchering it yourself, just hang it and git'er done

SDS

RackStacker30

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've butchered two so far in my garage in Yukon this year... I have an eye hook screwed into a ceiling joist that I attach my block and tackle pulley system and gambrel and hoist them up to eye level. A tarp is placed underneath them to catch any blood. I used a large ice chest this last time under the deer to catch all the liquids. It worked great and I didn't drip much even on the tarp. Anything that makes it onto the concrete will wash away easily with the water hose as long as you clean it up the same day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom