Deer hunting with an AR-15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is something new too.

Used to be, case length had to be 1.5" to be legal. Anyone know when they changed this??? I haven't taught a class in a little over a year now, and it wasn't changed in the regs then.

I thought they changed it when they began to allow the .45 acp but I could be wrong. Seems like a couple years ago.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought they changed it when they began to allow the .45 acp but I could be wrong. Seems like a couple years ago.

posting from my phone, so can't quote.

centerfire handguns min length is 1 1/4".
semiauto handguns, anything over.40, 100gr. min.
I know both are centerfires, and it makes no sence why my 1911 is legal, and my .45acp revolver is not.
Just another law that needs to be revisited.

DrTurkenstein

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone please explain to me why an AR in .223 can only have a 5 round magazine. I understand that a .22 centerfire magazine can only hold 7 rounds but a .22 and a .223 are not the same caliber, unless I'm missing something. Isn't a .22 .003 smaller in than a .223? And if my logic is correct then using a 20 or 30 round magazine is perfectly legal. I'm not trying to dispute anything, I really don't know. Am I showing my ignorance on this?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First to clear up something.
the max mag size is 7 rounds, as stated in the regs. Not 5 like has been stated.
I know where your concern is coming from about the .22 centerfire reg. I don't have an answer.

Hoss

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Instead of buying a five round mag I put a wood block in a 20 round mag. The block was long enough to only allow the mag to hold 5 rounds. It is pretty much the same thing as putting a plug in a shotgun.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone please explain to me why an AR in .223 can only have a 5 round magazine. I understand that a .22 centerfire magazine can only hold 7 rounds but a .22 and a .223 are not the same caliber, unless I'm missing something. Isn't a .22 .003 smaller in than a .223? And if my logic is correct then using a 20 or 30 round magazine is perfectly legal. I'm not trying to dispute anything, I really don't know. Am I showing my ignorance on this?

.22LR and a .223/5.56mm are the same bullet diameter, different cartridge sizes.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nosler makes a partition bullet in .22 cal too.

IMO, this is the only responsible way to shoot big game with a .22 caliber rifle. USE THE PROPER BULLET!!! 55 grain HP's are a fantastic way to wound deer, especially large body bucks. YES, you can easily kill them with it, IF you place your shot BEHIND the shoulder, but you need a PERFECT shot, no room for error. As we all know, occasionally even a perfect presentation can turn into an oops, and a 55 grain HP increases the chance of an oops. I have seen this happen on more than one occasion with a .22-250 and a .223 In both circumstances a partitioned or copper bullet would have got the job done, but not a hollow point.

Another note, why can I slap a 20 round mag in my AR-10 and go hunting but cannot do the same with an AR-15? Makes no sense to me.

JimmyC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the deer in my profile pic were shot with my AR15 in a .223 and were one shot kills. The furthest one traveled after being shot was about 40 yards.

I wanted a little more power than a 55gr so I found some 77gr black hills ammo. And they performed very well but all shots were in the vitals. One shot on a big buck was a frontal shot that took out his heart and he only ended up running about 30 yards.

I have no doubt that the .223 is fully capable of killing deer, but it is a little on the small size. I wanted a larger caliber to also hunt hogs with so I built another AR15 this year in a 6.8 SPC. I hear that it is a perfect hog and deer round inside of 300 yards. I'll let you know as soon as I get to take it out.

I also don't understand why I can have an unlimited size magazine in my 6.8 but my 5.56/.223 is only allowed 7. Unless of course they are talking about .22 magnums and not .223?? Granted I usually only load up 5 at a time anyway, but it seems a little strange. Time to call the wildlife department and ask them what's going on...

Reaction score
All the deer in my profile pic were shot with my AR15 in a .223 and were one shot kills

*Which* 55 grain bullet(s) were used, Jimmy? .mil ball ammo or what? Thanks. All vitals shots? Or some neck/head shots? Or what? I think you are saying that all were vitals on the 77 grain BH, but what about the 55s - same?

Latest posts

Top Bottom