Deer hunting with an AR-15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO, this is the only responsible way to shoot big game with a .22 caliber rifle. USE THE PROPER BULLET!!! 55 grain HP's are a fantastic way to wound deer, especially large body bucks. YES, you can easily kill them with it, IF you place your shot BEHIND the shoulder, but you need a PERFECT shot, no room for error. As we all know, occasionally even a perfect presentation can turn into an oops, and a 55 grain HP increases the chance of an oops. I have seen this happen on more than one occasion with a .22-250 and a .223 In both circumstances a partitioned or copper bullet would have got the job done, but not a hollow point.

Another note, why can I slap a 20 round mag in my AR-10 and go hunting but cannot do the same with an AR-15? Makes no sense to me.

I hunt deer with a 22-250 at 300 yards...the neck shot is the perfect shot. Any contact kills them and any miss, they are not harmed. I never have to chase or look for them, they fold up like a cheap lawn chair.

JimmyC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
*Which* 55 grain bullet(s) were used, Jimmy? .mil ball ammo or what? Thanks. All vitals shots? Or some neck/head shots? Or what? I think you are saying that all were vitals on the 77 grain BH, but what about the 55s - same?

All the deer we shot were shot with the 77gr OTM (open tip match) essentially a hollow point. All were in the vitals.

The .223 is not the ideal big game hunting round but it can be done. If it were my only rifle I would have no problem taking it to the woods. I've never been a fan of the head or neck shot, I guess since I'm primarily a bow hunter I usually shoot for the vitals. If an arrow can kill a deer a .223 can get the job done too. Shot placement is key. You should see some of the damage these little bullets cause. Most of the vitals get turned to jelly...

One of the biggest drawbacks is you don't always get a pass through. Which means little to no blood trail. You might get a pass through on a double lung shot to the ribs but not on a shoulder shot. This is one of the main reasons I decided to upgrade to the 6.8.

With the development of Barnes TTSX bullets (all copper / no lead) you may get more pass throughs and these bullets usually retain over 95 of the bullet weight after impact. I'm using these in my 6.8 now too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom