Deer Processing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbowe91

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This will be first year hunting the OKC area. Is there a good deer processor that doesn't charge an arm and a leg? That also you don't have to worry about getting somebody else deer meat, not yours.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not really. There's Thunderbird Meat Processing off Highway 9 and SE 156th. I think they charge about $90. Terry's Taxidermy off Reno in West OKC is another option. I believe there's a pretty good one near Guthrie that I have heard mentioned here quite a bit, but not sure of price/location.

I gave up on paying for processing a few years ago as I could invest in a grinder/paper/tape and in a few hours, have only my venison packaged and in the freezer.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Terry's does good on the processing but is expensive. I won't let him handle another mount though. For the cost of processing two deer you can get a decent grinder and diy it. I got one two years ago and haven't looked back.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't help you in the OKC area, but the Tonkawa meats does one deer at a time. They vacuum pack every thing so it will last a long time in the freezer.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am with everyone else. Do it yourself, its not as challenging as you would think. Let me find the videos that I used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tudPGNL9LK0

Watch them 3 times and then give it a shot. I cut up as much jerky meat as possible then grind whats left. The processors would just give me a little jerky then grind a lot. I figured it was faster for them, but it always pissed me off

Get a sharp knife and a sharpener. I use a workbench in the garage with plastic drop cloths stapled to it. Works great

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's what I have as well. I just spend a bit more time trimming the silver off the meat (it's a pain) but it seems to clog much less often. Also, you could use that as a sign to cook more roasts and stew. lol

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you hunt down south, Arctic Processing in Davis, OK does a super job at a reasonable cost. Haven't checked this year, but it's usually $80 or so if you bring him a field dressed deer. He won't take a deer that hasn't been field dressed, and I think other processors have the same policy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom