Deer processing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I took in 4 rear quarters, 4 shoulders
4 back straps, and 4 tenderloins down to a processor I ve never used before. Basically 2 full mature does. Besides stew meat I kept and fed that dogs. Just wanted jerky and summer sausage made, just picked it up today. Dropped it off the Nov 1st. Only received back 10lbs of jerkey and 10lbs of summer sausage.. paid 345 total.. dude charged me 50 a piece to bone it out and then processing on top of that. Stay away from Smoking Patz in Isabella Oklahoma
Also today his processing area when I picked it up had to been like 70 degrees. Way warmer than outside, had a heater going I believe. You all think that price is crazy or just me?
My 2 experiences with a ‘professional’ processor convinced me to learn to do it myself. Used some of the funds spent on previous processors to buy an electric grinder and vacuum sealer. So I just make steaks of the backstrap, stew meat chunks and grind the rest. The flavor was much better due to my diligence on removing connective tissue, grey skin, fat. I also mix in some of the fatest ground beef I can find while Grinding the venison

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used the Browns for years . . . I'm pretty sure they hire out the snack sticks if I remember right.

Last year I used 3 South Processing in Stonewall because my usuals were full. This year I was able to use a kid who lives about 5 miles from my dad and he did a great job.

I've processed a few on my own, but I know I leave more on the bone than I probably should. I just need to get more practice I guess, but without a place to hang and work on them it's easier to just drop them off with a processor.

My ultimate goal is to build a walk-in cooler where I can hang and process my own as time allows.
I would have never guessed, sure is good lol.
I used to do my own for years, but back then it was cold enough to let them hang at camp. At least that's how I remember it lol. I hate working warm meat and I dream of having a walk in one day. But a few of these guys have mentioned old fridges and its got me thinking lol.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would have never guessed, sure is good lol.
I used to do my own for years, but back then it was cold enough to let them hang at camp. At least that's how I remember it lol. I hate working warm meat and I dream of having a walk in one day. But a few of these guys have mentioned old fridges and its got me thinking lol.
I have a couple of older refrigerators that made the move from the kitchen to the garage. One of them is used mostly just for deer quarters to ‘rest’ for 7-10 days before processing

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven’t carried a deer to a processor for over 30 years, and in that time, I’ve clean ALOT of deer. I’ve mentioned before that my Dad used to tell friends and people at church that if they killed a deer to bring it to his house, and I would come over to clean it for them. It was surprising how many people took advantage of the offer, so I got a lot of practice.
I used to quarter them out and then debone later. In the late 90’s, I quit gutting them and started deboning the hanging carcass. When I haul off a carcass the guts are still in it and all four leg bones are still attached. I let the meat soak in iced salt water for a couple days before I start cutting up the meat.
I’ve got a couple friends that hunt in the TX panhandle, and they brought two deer back to a place here in east TX for processing and getting sausage made. The price was close to $900. I like venison, but there’s no way I’d pay that. I can buy some damn fine beef steaks for that price.
Would you like to teach your method to one of my camps for new hunters?

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven’t carried a deer to a processor for over 30 years, and in that time, I’ve clean ALOT of deer. I’ve mentioned before that my Dad used to tell friends and people at church that if they killed a deer to bring it to his house, and I would come over to clean it for them. It was surprising how many people took advantage of the offer, so I got a lot of practice.
I used to quarter them out and then debone later. In the late 90’s, I quit gutting them and started deboning the hanging carcass. When I haul off a carcass the guts are still in it and all four leg bones are still attached. I let the meat soak in iced salt water for a couple days before I start cutting up the meat.
I’ve got a couple friends that hunt in the TX panhandle, and they brought two deer back to a place here in east TX for processing and getting sausage made. The price was close to $900. I like venison, but there’s no way I’d pay that. I can buy some damn fine beef steaks for that price.
Soak in ice water? Red meat turns white?

I do the gutless sometimes if I can butcher it out pretty quick. If not I gut, pack with ice, butcher as soon as I can.
I learned to wait a few hours after the kill to butcher it out, it’s less bloody.

💯 my meat is better than a processor, I don’t get as much as they get but my meat is super clean and no white skin ir fat whatsoever!
We killed 7 deee between me and my kids this year so we did a lot of grinding

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love processing deer. Have a 3/4 HP Carnivore grinder from Cabella's, a sausage stuffer, vacuum sealer and all the toys to go along with them.
It's a two day job to get everything processed and ground. Then the sausage/jerky starts, not always immediately. Sometimes a month or so later. Buddy has one of those grocery store sized Hobart slicers.
I've used a couple of YouTube videos of how to make sausage, but just can't find the recipe that matches my taste. Some of the commercial mixes at sporting goods stores aren't what I'm really looking for either.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love processing deer. Have a 3/4 HP Carnivore grinder from Cabella's, a sausage stuffer, vacuum sealer and all the toys to go along with them.
It's a two day job to get everything processed and ground. Then the sausage/jerky starts, not always immediately. Sometimes a month or so later. Buddy has one of those grocery store sized Hobart slicers.
I've used a couple of YouTube videos of how to make sausage, but just can't find the recipe that matches my taste. Some of the commercial mixes at sporting goods stores aren't what I'm really looking for either.
Check some of these recipes out.
https://meatprocessingproducts.com/sausage-recipes.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom