Deer processing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you took 2 dwarf deer, you’ve got some meat due to you. Sausage should make your meat go further with the addition of the fat, and jerky only reduces 60ish percent from wet weight. I do all of my own processing, short of one deer every year that I get turned almost completely into ground. I took just the 4 quarters of a mature buck (52lbs gross) to sallees in guthrie in November. In return, I got 33lbs of ground, 10lbs sausage and 2 vac-sealed roasts they didn’t grind for some reason. It was $152
IMG_3185.jpeg

Im not shilling for sallees. Im just saying Id expect/demand more meat than you received.

Last edited:

rswink

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We use Thunderbird Meat in Norman, they have always been honest with our Family. But, we usually take bucks in. Does are usually processed at home.

Now, that Absolute Wildgame Processor in Purcell did my brothers deer right, but he took in 2 giant Pot Belly pigs and got #60 and NO bacon, Belly, or ribs, legs as whole instead of hams as He paid for. No way over 300 pounds of pig come back like that. We will steer clear of him.

Blackdog

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
We use Thunderbird Meat in Norman, they have always been honest with our Family. But, we usually take bucks in. Does are usually processed at home.

Now, that Absolute Wildgame Processor in Purcell did my brothers deer right, but he took in 2 giant Pot Belly pigs and got #60 and NO bacon, Belly, or ribs, legs as whole instead of hams as He paid for. No way over 300 pounds of pig come back like that. We will steer clear of him.
That's wild. I ve been using big country in Enid with good results on pigs, I would have taken the deer there but I wanted the meat back in time for a fishing trip coming up next week.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's wild. I ve been using big country in Enid with good results on pigs, I would have taken the deer there but I wanted the meat back in time for a fishing trip coming up next week.

We quit using Big Country many years ago, when we found out for certain that we were not getting our own deer back!

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my 20+ years of marriage we’ve only ever taken one whole deer to the processor. Typically my wife and I do them all. That was about 5 years ago.

It was a large buck my wife shot and we got back enough backstrap for a small doe. She was HOT! She said never again and we’ve never done that again. 😆

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been doing all my deer, elk and hog processing for the last 12 years. I think I get better quality of meat. I spend the monies on a good grinder and all the necessary stuff to make my own summer sausage. I have a fridge that I can hang 2 deer in quarters and let it hang any where from 5 to 10 days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom