Deer Season 2018 Pics/Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First buck of 2018 down.

He came in right at dark on Wednesday evening. I shot him from 40 yds and the arrow went all the way through. You can see the exit wound on this side. The entry was about a foot forward and about 4" high of that. With the angle, I only caught one lung. I decided to let him lay overnight and go back to look for him yesterday morning. Couldn't find him. Came home to do some work, then a buddy of mine and I went back at lunch and found him still alive. Nothing a sharp knife couldn't take care of. Not as big as I thought he was when I shot him, but still a good one.

Now on for the big one next week!

Happy hunting!
]

Congrats on the fine buck!

Tumbleweed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and daughter got skunked in their blind tonight. I saw 2 doe, a fawn, and dink 8 point. I ended up having to gently bump the buck off my feeder @8:00 so I could get out of my blind to get the girls.

ETA: Checked my cameras and we have had hogs at either feeder in daylight almost every day we've not hunted. I need to get rid of these hogs, but work keeps getting in the way. The landowner had someone who was supposed to trap them, but he ended up taking one of our mature does instead. EXPRESSLY WITHOUT PERMISSION TO HUNT DEER! Now he's been kicked off the place, it's up to us to try to kill these hogs. I'm pretty frustrated. This is the second time we've had someone hunt our lease without permission. The first time they stole our cameras.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Kaw situation shouldn't affect you since you're above the SPL dam. The guy I texted about the crest the other day texted back and said the Medicine was still coming up and everything was a mess, but didn't say about the SF.
It's going from bad to worse. Inflow on Kaw continues to go up. Elevation will be 1025.00 by noon and climbing. Normal pool is 1010.00. They have all gates partially open but only releasing 35,000 cf. Inflow is 75,000 cf and climbing. They can't release any more because of downstream flooding from the Chikaska and Salt Fork rivers. Looks like the campgrounds may go under water again if something doesn't change quick. I would check ahead if I had any camping reservations this fall. Only ramp that will be open after today will probably be Pioneer or Bear Creek on the north end.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's going from bad to worse. Inflow on Kaw continues to go up. Elevation will be 1025.00 by noon and climbing. Normal pool is 1010.00. They have all gates partially open but only releasing 35,000 cf. Inflow is 75,000 cf and climbing. They can't release any more because of downstream flooding from the Chikaska and Salt Fork rivers. Looks like the campgrounds may go under water again if something doesn't change quick. I would check ahead if I had any camping reservations this fall. Only ramp that will be open after today will probably be Pioneer or Bear Creek on the north end.

I think we know now why Kaw has a record of big deer on the WMA. Every deer season it floods and runs them off to private land where they may or may not be hunted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom