Deer whistle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have luck with any kind of deer deterrent on their vehicle?

My wife has almost hit two deer in the past month.

In June of 2017 she hit one at 60 mph and did about $15,000 in damages to her 4Runner.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I commute 108 miles each way for work. Both ways in the dark this time of year. Drive a company F250. After the first time I made pink mist (literally) out of a doe on the long, dark, narrow stretch of Hwy 48 doing 70mph I had this Ranch Hand put on my truck. Hit my second deer on Hwy 16 three months later and it didn't hurt the bumper a bit. Last month I unfortunately his a big dog on Hwy 48 at 70mph and it put a slight bend in the lower bar on the bumper. THe dog would have done serious damage had the factory chrome bumper been on the truck. Not everyone can put one of these bumpers on there cars but the deer and wildlife are why my wife will never drive anthing smaller than a large SUV or 3/4 ton truck. I will tell you, if you've never hit a deer crossing the road you'd be amazed at how fast the hit/accident happens from the time you see the deer to impact. Incredibly fast! The deer also blend in extremely well with the sides of the road.

I also put a set of these lights on my truck with switch that allows me to see very far down the hwy and on the shoulders compared to the factory headlights. I do use them on the Hwy when there are no other vehicles within a half mile coming my direction. THey may only be 4" diameter but they throw a hell of a beam.

1701402031122.png

1701402142658.png

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife has totaled two vehicles by hitting deer. The first was at the advent of the cell phones, so we only had one for her. I went to work at 4:30am in those days. About 6am got a call from her that she had hit a buck, spun around in the road and was in the ditch unharmed but crying because the buck was struggling from its injuries.
Told the boss it was an emergency and hauled butt to the location where she was still sitting inside as the door was jammed. After assuring she was unharmed, asked where the buck was.
She said two guys drove up, saw the deer, got out, cut the throat, and loaded it up in their truck, never checking on her wellbeing. Just drove away looking at her as they drove past. :angry3:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will tell you, if you've never hit a deer crossing the road you'd be amazed at how fast the hit/accident happens from the time you see the deer to impact. Incredibly fast!
You know, everyone I know who has hit a deer has talked about how quickly it happened, but my experience was the opposite.

I was driving southbound on 177 between Wellston and Jacktown one foggy night. I was going slow because of the heavy fog when I came upon this dumbass deer standing on the centerline of the highway. I slowed down even more and gave it a wide berth, and when my driver's door was past it, the dumb bastard turned and RAN INTO THE SIDE OF MY TRUCK.

I swear, this must've been the slowest collision ever with the dumbest animal on the face of the Earth.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know, everyone I know who has hit a deer has talked about how quickly it happened, but my experience was the opposite.

I was driving southbound on 177 between Wellston and Jacktown one foggy night. I was going slow because of the heavy fog when I came upon this dumbass deer standing on the centerline of the highway. I slowed down even more and gave it a wide berth, and when my driver's door was past it, the dumb bastard turned and RAN INTO THE SIDE OF MY TRUCK.

I swear, this must've been the slowest collision ever with the dumbest animal on the face of the Earth.
Have a friend that had the same situation happen to him and it wasn't even foggy. The doe ran alongside of him for a bit before ramming his door.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I commute 108 miles each way for work. Both ways in the dark this time of year. Drive a company F250. After the first time I made pink mist (literally) out of a doe on the long, dark, narrow stretch of Hwy 48 doing 70mph I had this Ranch Hand put on my truck. Hit my second deer on Hwy 16 three months later and it didn't hurt the bumper a bit. Last month I unfortunately his a big dog on Hwy 48 at 70mph and it put a slight bend in the lower bar on the bumper. THe dog would have done serious damage had the factory chrome bumper been on the truck. Not everyone can put one of these bumpers on there cars but the deer and wildlife are why my wife will never drive anthing smaller than a large SUV or 3/4 ton truck. I will tell you, if you've never hit a deer crossing the road you'd be amazed at how fast the hit/accident happens from the time you see the deer to impact. Incredibly fast! The deer also blend in extremely well with the sides of the road.

I also put a set of these lights on my truck with switch that allows me to see very far down the hwy and on the shoulders compared to the factory headlights. I do use them on the Hwy when there are no other vehicles within a half mile coming my direction. THey may only be 4" diameter but they throw a hell of a beam.

View attachment 433149
View attachment 433150
I put a big ranch hand on my old United Rentals service truck. Worth it.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

Second dumbest. My son had a brand new 2012 Dodge RAM. Three hailstorms were approaching and his 72 Chevy was on blocks inside the garage. He filled it up with gas and drove south down past Purcell, then west coming up the back side of the storms. He was driving north on 281 20 miles south of Weatherford when a doe hit him in his passenger door.

:explode:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have a friend that had the same situation happen to him and it wasn't even foggy. The doe ran alongside of him for a bit before ramming his door.
I've had that almost happen a few times--a deer would run alongside my vehicle, so I'd slow down, figuring the hare-brained thing was going to shoot out in front of me. Sure as God made little green apples, the dumb SOB would, in fact, dart across in front of me.

Good Lord, those things are just plain stupid.

Latest posts

Top Bottom