Delima: pondering selling my bow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been considering selling my bow(PSE Bow Madness XS) and all the other goodies that are with it. I'm wanting to switch to a cross bow. I can get my son shooting the cross bow and not have to worry about buying another setup.

I'm not hunting this year so it won't be getting used this season.

Should I put it on the block or hang onto it?

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends...the return on selling a used bow is terrible so if you can live with that. My bow was over a grand as a bare bow back years ago (a PSE Mach 10) and now according to the bow shops it's worth about $300-350 max fully equipped and it only being hunted with twice. It's too much bow for me but hard to take a thousand dollar bath on a bow that's basically still new so it sits in it's case still to this day....sad. If you think you might realistically use it again keep it but if not might as well sell it now because the older it gets the less it'll be worth.

What are the specs?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is a fact.
I got my horton compound for 50 bucks with a case and goodies.
Picked up some nice older bear compounds for 25, and got one for free.
Cross bows are nice.. maybe keep the compound as a back up in case something happens with the cross bow.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is one thing I have noticed about bow sales. There isn't that much of a used market for them. Sure there are buyers but not like there are for firearms. resale value is limited as the new hotness is always the desired product.

Specs on the bow are PSE Bowmadness XS. This was one of the "package bows" they sold with the sight, wisker bisket and quiver. I'm a 30" draw length and its set somewhere just south of 60 pounds. I think it was set at 55 when I bought it and never changed it. Case, Carbon Xpress arrows with Rage 2 blads. I've added 2 pins to the sight for a total of 5 pins.

Its a good shooting bow that I have no problems with. I'm just on the fence on getting something that both of us can use.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I dug out my old PSE Thunderflight which is in like new condition and was thinking about putting some upgrades on it. Found out that a good string costs about what the bow is worth. It's just a better idea to get a newer more modern bow, they are faster and I need something less than an 80lb draw anyway. All of the newer bows are as fast as this one at a much lower draw weight so it just doesn't make any sense to mess with it which is kinda sad, it was the shiznit when they first came out.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a '12 PSE Brute X
28 1/2, set at 60lbs
5 pin sight, fall-away rest
Easton Nfuse 29" carbon, 350, 100 gr tip (rage hypo)
About 290fps, 58 ish kinetic energy
About a $450 dollar bow ( now)
I was at the range the other day , a guy brought in a Carbon Knight....it was Nice...About $1200-1500
In the end it was nice...but I do just fine ,until I pulled the string off...everyone should experience that , with no damage of course... ;)
They restrung it and put/replaced a shim in the lower cam, no charge....Thanks Archer's Corner... ;)
Shoots fine Now , probably restring it before hunting season...bout $70 bucks
To the point , a Carbon Knight would be nice , but I can take down anything around here.
Might as well keep it, when run out of boolits, I can make an arrow... ;)

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
New bows are never a good investment. Period! I don't care what how you buy, Mathews, PSE, Hoyt, BowTech etc. New top of the line bow, say a Mathews Creed XS or Chill R. Cost roughly $900ish new bare bow. You can buy it new right now and never put an arrow through it and you'd be lucky to sell it for $600 tomorrow. It's used....
Nothing like buying a Glock 17 for $500 new and getting $450 for it five years from now.

As for the OP. Keep it. Yeah your boy might not be able to bow hunt right now, but he will in the future. Selling the bow now would just mean you get to buy two in the future when he can.

nomad636

New to the site!
Reaction score
New bows are never a good investment. Period! I don't care what how you buy, Mathews, PSE, Hoyt, BowTech etc. New top of the line bow, say a Mathews Creed XS or Chill R. Cost roughly $900ish new bare bow. You can buy it new right now and never put an arrow through it and you'd be lucky to sell it for $600 tomorrow. It's used....
Nothing like buying a Glock 17 for $500 new and getting $450 for it five years from now.

As for the OP. Keep it. Yeah your boy might not be able to bow hunt right now, but he will in the future. Selling the bow now would just mean you get to buy two in the future when he can.

I couldn't agree more. Keep the bow, as it isn't worth used what you have into it. In a few years, when he's strong enough to use it, take it to a bow shop and have them drop the poundage on it. It would be a good starter bow for him to learn on. If he falls in love with bow hunting, then he can save his pennies for a "new" bow. Until then, he can hunt with a gently used top of the line for it's time bow. Modern technology makes bows lighter, faster and out of space age materials... but does it really do the job any better? If it looses an arrow and can kill a deer out to 30-40 yds... then he's good to go. Most shots take place at less than 20yds.

Just my $ 0.02

Latest posts

Top Bottom