Depriming crimped brass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got my new hornady catalog in the mail.
Seems they have a universal decapping die designed for crimped primers. Supposed to be a little more robust than a standard decapper.
Part #050085 $32.15 ea.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used the cheapie Lee dies to decap thousands of rounds of crimped 308 and never broke the decapping rod - though I had worried about it for a while. I suppose if I ever do actually break it, I'll order one of these.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go buy the LEE and don't worry about it, a lot less than $32, I've used the same one for 30+ years. If you break it Lee will replace it.

I presume you are talking about the Lee universal deprimer die? I have one and it eats anything. I like to deprime and tumble before resizing brass, and this die does the job. Can't recall what it cost, but was reasonable. Since I use a turret reloader, I am considering adding one of these to each turret of the calibers I reload most.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go buy the LEE and don't worry about it, a lot less than $32, I've used the same one for 30+ years. If you break it Lee will replace it.

Dennis, I've been using the Lee universal depriming die for all the military crimped brass for quite a while and no more broken decapping pins.. When you miss one of the Berdan
primed cases, it just pushes the stem up in the die... easy to loosen the nut and put it back in place without anything being broken.. Blitzfike

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks!
I've been reloading crimped 30-06 brass with RCBS dies since 81, without breaking a pin. .223 for 5 years, no issues, until decapping some eastern European brass. I almost pushed the pin through the primer before it popped out. They must have been installed with a sealer. I've got almost a 5 gallon bucket full of processed .223 brass ready to load now. Been on a tear lately. Lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom