Gotta love Lyman Customer Service, or the lack there of

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now here is another thought before you size another case with another die.

Maybe the cases you have are getting stuck because they have an unusually large neck thickness.

I have researched a little bit and I found .009" to .013" neck thickness and at .014" you may be too tight but not so tight the thing would get stuck in the die.
The norm seems to be .010" to .011"

Has anyone here measured their case neck thickness for this round ?

Coug91

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would running it through a .223 die first do any difference ?
If you use a small base 223 die first, it won't hurt. You can decap with it or take the decapping rod/expander out of the die. You can also use an M die to expand the necks separate from resizing.

What kind of press are you using? Single stage or progressive?

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
If you use a small base 223 die first, it won't hurt. You can decap with it or take the decapping rod/expander out of the die. You can also use an M die to expand the necks separate from resizing.

Taking the rod shouldn’t be an issue since it’ll be going through a .30cal opening not a .22

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Single stage. I always decap separately from sizing.

The decapping rod is toast. Lyman wont replace it or sell me a new one. I'm having trouble finding one.

I decided to not spend anymore money on this 300 Blackout endeavor until I get a rifle. I took the guts out of the die, stuck it in a Lee die ring and in my vise upside down. Broke out the Dremel tool, some flitz and went to town. 10 minutes later it's like glass. I'll have to do a two step process of sizing with the Lyman die, then running them through my L.E. Wilson mandrel die. Die sizes very smoothly too.

So far, the 1st 15 I did look great. Only a .003" working of the necks from sizing without the expander ball then running them through my mandrel.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now here is another thought before you size another case with another die.

Maybe the cases you have are getting stuck because they have an unusually large neck thickness.

I have researched a little bit and I found .009" to .013" neck thickness and at .014" you may be too tight but not so tight the thing would get stuck in the die.
The norm seems to be .010" to .011"

Has anyone here measured their case neck thickness for this round ?
The 15 I picked up and worked, range from .011" to .013"

Latest posts

Top Bottom