DHS involvement in Child Support

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always paid my child support obligations willingly working well with court,judges and state agencies with zero problems. Being amicable with mothers has helped, mothers not on any kind of assistance or owe the state they live in. And I have never paid any court ordered payments directly to a mother. I have always preferred to work with a state agency. I am currently paying the last year of support to my youngest kid thru OCSS's website with a credit card. Ive always been self employed with good legal representation and have payed child support to 3 different kids in 3 different states over 20 some years.

I found it to be much easier to go through the state also. Like I said, GC was furious but his ex- was ... ahem ... well ... let's just say she enjoys a good bit of drama ... Me? not so much, so the "needing" the check early or wanting cash instead of a check (how convenient :rolleyes2), blah, blah, blah wore me kinda thin. He did finally admit to me much later that the first time she called screaming that her check was late and he was able to just say "I dunno, my check stub says DHS has it so you will have to call them" was pretty satisfying ... :P We didn't hear from her again about money until the month AFTER the last one turned 18 ... and she wanted to know where her child support was ... :D

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't disagree with anything you've said twoguns?, just addressing whether it was mandatory or not.

GC was aghast (and rightfully so) when he received notification DHS was stepping in. It is our contention that DHS got this law put into effect so they could roll parents who made their payments regularly and on time into the system to pad their dismal collection record. (Sorry, Danny, no offense to your wife.)

That would explain a lot. My daughter's ex got 5 FREAKIN YEARS behind on his before they got around to suspending his drivers license. And of course it was all her fault when they did. He was a real piece of work...

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That would explain a lot. My daughter's ex got 5 FREAKIN YEARS behind on his before they got around to suspending his drivers license. And of course it was all her fault when they did. He was a real piece of work...

I feel ya. I never got a single solitary dime of child support even though I regularly informed DHS where he was and where he was working ... Not one. AND while I was on "the dole" DHS let my ex- take me to court in a state that neither me nor my kids had ever been in and get my child support REDUCED -- and notified me of the hearings AFTER THE FACT ... :grumble: Several years later, after I was up on my feet, DHS sent ME a letter telling me that they were gonna audit MY bank accounts because if I had received ANY money from my ex- I was gonna have to pay it back to them for the food stamps, AFDC, SoonerCare, etc. benefits I had received. :grumble:

I had the lawyer I was working for them at the time sign off on a nice little letter reminding them how they had mishandled my case back in the day ... Funny ... Haven't heard a peep from "Child Support Enforcement" in several years now ... Imagine that ...

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All part of the new world order. Let the gubbermint take care of it.

I suspect this is based of all the dead beat parents who didn't pay in the past. Unfortunately it probably has zero effect on them.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"We didn't hear from her again about money until the month AFTER the last one turned 18 ... and she wanted to know where her child support was ... "

AHHH ,Thanks ... Special Memorys.... ;)

'was pretty satisfying ... "

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife's ex lives in Texas, and just sends a check once a month. My wife wants to have the amount evaluated for an increase (long story, but her butt-hole of a dad had a lot to do with her ex paying what most people call a ridiculously low amount.)

All parties involved would like DHS to stay out of it.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the statute covers out of state Exes?

I dunno ... My ex- moved outta state when he left me and didn't come back until my boys were in high school. Oddly enough, I ran into him quite by accident when my two youngest were doing a summer internship at the Space and Science Museum. Unfortunately, he recognized me too and didn't show up for work the next day. Or the next. Or the next. After some digging around I found out that he had told people he'd just moved to Oklahoma after his family had been murdered. Now, whether this was his way of garnering sympathy from co-workers for the fact that he was a single alcoholic in his 40s or what I dunno ... Guess he packed up and moved back out of state because I found out a few years after that that he had died, after spending some time in a long-term care facility, from injuries he received in a motorcycle crash ...

I figure GC was an easy target because he was a state employee and his payroll department was in the interagency phonebook ... :rolleyes2

mksmth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my divorce was final a few months ago. I just write a personal check every month. My lawyer said only if the Ex wants DHS to handle it is when they do. IDK. so far Im just writing them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom