Did I Choose the Wrong Calibers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I just started shooting a few years ago and have since began SHTF planning.

I made the decision to try and keep all firearms in a few calibers due to what I though would be their availability since they are the more popular calibers. Another reason was their price since I believe that owning does no good if you don't shoot and practice. I'm a web geek so I don't have deep pockets and needed the most affordable calibers to shoot.

Here are what I've kept everything in:
9mm
5.56/.223
.22 long rifle
12 ga

Now, it seems that my very reasoning for these is biting me in the rear. Seems that though all ammo is in short supply, these popular calibers are among the absolute hardest to find. I think it would be good in SHTF scenario because scavenging may be more the roll than purchase. With them being more popular, they may be easier to find if scavenging was needed regardless of what is on the shelves for purchase, there is plenty out there, just not in stores. However, unless we enter SHTF, I may be SOoL in feeding my firearms at the range.

What are your thoughts?

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always stuck with military calibers (9mm, 5.56, 7.62, .30-06, .45acp, etc...). They're produced in greater numbers, and when the whole world isn't pissing their panties, the ammo can generally be found anywhere you may find yourself.

Just wait. Buy a lot when prices come back to "somewhat reasonable".

mblndl

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always stuck with military calibers (9mm, 5.56, 7.62, .30-06, .45acp, etc...). They're produced in greater numbers, and when the whole world isn't pissing their panties, the ammo can generally be found anywhere you may find yourself.

Just wait. Buy a lot when prices come back to "somewhat reasonable".

I've noticed the 30-06 has been somewhat available during this shortage. It's a pretty versatile round.

Latest posts

Top Bottom