Did I just witness a war crime?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At a primal level, and especially if things were as they are presented in the media then of course I would agree with you...although we abide by the Geneva convention and that would include invaders that try to surrender. One thing I recall reading about WWII was that the Germans treated our soldiers fairly because they knew we would do the same for theirs.

One of the many reasons given to justify invading Iraq was that Saddam attacked "his own people" meaning the Kurds. Zelinsky was attacking ethnic Russians that live in Eastern Ukraine for almost a decade before Russian invaded. I was still against the invasion, but what do you think the USA would do if the Mexican gov't was bombing Americans who lived in the Baja peninsula? Just sayin'

If people are conscripted and forced to fight and they want to give up, I think any moral person if it were possible under the circumstances would accept their surrender.
How did Zelinsky attack ethnic Russians almost a decade prior to becoming president?

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Queue dramatic music after each tank shot. Does that music really make it seem like the tank crew was in any danger? Just goes to prove war is despicable. A flag of surrender? stuff gets dirty in the battlefield and in my humble opinion with little military knowledge I would say yes, what other purpose would there be for flying a primarily white flag. Any of the flags of either nation or military forces white?

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ukrainian tank shoots Russian soldiers surrendering with a white flag. Look behind the tree in the center of the screen at 8:40. Then keep watching for a few more seconds.

This had been discussed and examined extensively on other social sites with the conclusion that the white cloth waving from behind the tree is factually just some of the trash and debris typically found around Russian occupied areas. It was further ascertained that those in the trench had been given multiple warnings in advance about not surrendering.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At a primal level, and especially if things were as they are presented in the media then of course I would agree with you...although we abide by the Geneva convention and that would include invaders that try to surrender. One thing I recall reading about WWII was that the Germans treated our soldiers fairly because they knew we would do the same for theirs.

One of the many reasons given to justify invading Iraq was that Saddam attacked "his own people" meaning the Kurds. Zelinsky was attacking ethnic Russians that live in Eastern Ukraine for almost a decade before Russian invaded. I was still against the invasion, but what do you think the USA would do if the Mexican gov't was bombing Americans who lived in the Baja peninsula? Just sayin'

If people are conscripted and forced to fight and they want to give up, I think any moral person if it were possible under the circumstances would accept their surrender.
I gave you a like for your reasoned response. There is, however, an important 75% of what went on not exposed in the video. What, if anything, did the tank commander say over his loudspeaker to those soldiers waving the white flag(s)? If those waving what appears to be white flags refused to respond to the tank commander's orders, that right there is good cause to eliminate the enemy and avoid falling for some form of trickery, or a trap, or a mine.

Just out there speculating and harvesting food for thought. There is likely a whole lot more to this and any other such similar events on either side.

I hold firmly to my initial assessment.

Woody

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

There is some context here prior to that firing on a white flag. This is the last tank that has survived out of three from fire from these infantry trenches they are wiping out. I watched that video first.

Latest posts

Top Bottom