Did I screw up this 15-22?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin40_2001

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I had a blonde episode with a brand new 15-22. I decided I was going to remove the flash hider and didn't put it in a block and just stuck in on the vise. I used my tool and started twisting. I believed it was breaking loose and I didn't think it would take much torque. Well it ends up that the entire barrel turned about half way around while I was doing this. The charging handle and BCG got stuck but I was able to turn it back the opposite way and align everything. It seems to function fine but I have yet to test fire. Did I screw it up?

wildcat04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some 22LR barrels are not clocked with a pin the extension like 223 barrels are. The barrel nut may have not been tightened enough and allowed it to spin. I would say you best bet would be to remove the barrel nut and make sure everything looks ok then tighten it all back up. I would not think you did any damage unless something got bound on the bolt.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Based on what turned? Loose barrel nut? Maybe got lucky, but how loose and did the bolt any? Check barrel straightness. Did it twist, flex, bend, bind any? Is the flash hider still round? Probably not. Would not shoot this gun until talking with a gunsmith about what was done and he checks it thoroughly.

kevin40_2001

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The barrel is straight and has no issues. The flash hider is still round and perfect. It doesn't even have any wear marks. The BCG and charging handle function flawless. I don't see any visible damage after taking it down.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe you got lucky. I hope so, would hate to see a good gun get messed up. Go out and shoot it, see how it functions and if point of aim has moved.

Latest posts

Top Bottom