Diesel fuel shortage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was all a set up thing once again. There were hundreds of tankers full of crude waiting to discharge in the gulf but they were not allowed to.
I was stationed at Ft Leavenworth at the time. TV investigators in Kansas City saw and started recording tanker trucks dumping fuel into tanks of gas stations were closed in the middle of the night because the tank farms were at full capacity.
It was a contrived shortage to run up prices.
Meanwhile in Ponca city we have a huge tank farm with huge gasoline storage tanks. They are easy to spot as the lids are floating to eliminate gas fumes that can be highly flammable.
There are ladders on the top that go to the center of the floating lids. When you can see the full length of the ladder, the tank is full. If it's at a 45 degree angle down, the tank is probably empty or close to it.
Currently, most of the storage tanks are near full capacity. I drive by them every day. Illegal to take pics so I can't back that up.
In the process to get diesel fuel, the crude has to be processed through cracking units/reformers and so on.
Once the propane, butane, gasoline and others are extracted from the top of the cracking unit, what is left in the bottom is kerosene and diesel with bunker oil at the bottom. (It's much more involved but that's the cliff notes.)
So, my point is, if there is not a shortage of gasoline, how can there be a shortage of diesel fuel?
It's all part of the process.
As I understand it with not much research it could be a pipeline problem with not enough capacity available back east where the shortages are expected.
I worked on a project at the refinery during that period, it increased the capacity by 55,000 barrels per day. We had to wait at least a week to start it up after it was completed because all their storage was full and they had to get rid of some of it

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ‘invested’ in another 5 gallons for my little green tractor today. Probably have enough to get to 4 of July or to retire on now

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a teenager, we had a recession and we'd go out to those tanks that stored gas. We called it "drip gas" but it was actually unrefined white gas. About 9:00 or 10:00 PM a line of cars would be in place waiting their turn to fill up.
Each participant had to have their own can with a rope attached and when their turn came, they'd walk up a ladder and end up standing on top of the tank. There was an open hatch as Dennis referred to and one would drop their bucket down and draw up a full container to put in a Jerry Can that they'd also carried up to the tank.
When the level of drip gas dropped, a valve would open and more gas would pour into the tank. This caused some fumes to be released as expected and if one wasn't finished getting their gas, they'd often if not always get sort of high or dizzy and would stumble around until someone else would grab them until they regained their senses preventing them from falling off the tank. I had an old 1953 Pontiac straight eight, flat head and I used this drip gas, engine clattering until one night I blew a piston and was lucky enough to drive the junker home. Maybe it caused he engine to be out of time due to the high octane?
That ended my association with drip gas and I don't know if it is available today or not. I wouldn't use the stuff at all now and probably the unrefined gas is far more secure secure than it was in 1961. At any rate, those areas where the tanks were are probably packed with more people who wouldn't hesitate call Johnny Law on those venturing to the tanks which no doubt have fences around them.
I posted this because Dennis reminded me of the tanks and we are in a recession now with shortages. Besides, it is sort of humorous if not interesting, very few if any of you guys have ever done this. Moreover, the statute of limitations has long since expired. I have more stupid stories to relate when the situation permits.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then don't, but you really should understand the law. No one can keep you from photography in public.....it's called the first amendment of the U.S. Constitution...."Freedom of speech, of the press, of association, of assembly and petition -- this set of guarantees, protected by the First Amendment, comprises what we refer to as freedom of expression."

Don't let them push you around and violate your rights!
You don't understand what is going on right now. People are being put into solitary confinement because they were in DC in December with their rights under the Constitution being stripped and nobody is objecting including the Republicans.
Republicans like Rodger Stone had SWAT teams with amphibious teams in the water behind his home along with ground teams using overhead asset helicopters arrest him when his lawyers could have had him surrender the next day, all recorded "accidentally by a roving CNN team".
Are you really naive to what is happing to our country today?
"Muh rights" don't mean squat today.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a teenager, we had a recession and we'd go out to those tanks that stored gas. We called it "drip gas" but it was actually unrefined white gas. About 9:00 or 10:00 PM a line of cars would be in place waiting their turn to fill up.
Each participant had to have their own can with a rope attached and when their turn came, they'd walk up a ladder and end up standing on top of the tank. There was an open hatch as Dennis referred to and one would drop their bucket down and draw up a full container to put in a Jerry Can that they'd also carried up to the tank.
When the level of drip gas dropped, a valve would open and more gas would pour into the tank. This caused some fumes to be released as expected and if one wasn't finished getting their gas, they'd often if not always get sort of high or dizzy and would stumble around until someone else would grab them until they regained their senses preventing them from falling off the tank. I had an old 1953 Pontiac straight eight, flat head and I used this drip gas, engine clattering until one night I blew a piston and was lucky enough to drive the junker home. Maybe it caused he engine to be out of time due to the high octane?
That ended my association with drip gas and I don't know if it is available today or not. I wouldn't use the stuff at all now and probably the unrefined gas is far more secure secure than it was in 1961. At any rate, those areas where the tanks were are probably packed with more people who wouldn't hesitate call Johnny Law on those venturing to the tanks which no doubt have fences around them.
I posted this because Dennis reminded me of the tanks and we are in a recession now with shortages. Besides, it is sort of humorous if not interesting, very few if any of you guys have ever done this. Moreover, the statute of limitations has long since expired. I have more stupid stories to relate when the situation permits.
Drip gas had to be mixed with pump fuel.
I ran some of it when not siphoning gas from some local trucking company back in the day. Glad the statute of limitations has expired on that. :laugh6:

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Then don't, but you really should understand the law. No one can keep you from photography in public.....it's called the first amendment of the U.S. Constitution...."Freedom of speech, of the press, of association, of assembly and petition -- this set of guarantees, protected by the First Amendment, comprises what we refer to as freedom of expression."

Don't let them push you around and violate your rights!
Go Ray Epps!!

mavs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
You don't understand what is going on right now. People are being put into solitary confinement because they were in DC in December with their rights under the Constitution being stripped and nobody is objecting including the Republicans.
Republicans like Rodger Stone had SWAT teams with amphibious teams in the water behind his home along with ground teams using overhead asset helicopters arrest him when his lawyers could have had him surrender the next day, all recorded "accidentally by a roving CNN team".
Are you really naive to what is happing to our country today?
"Muh rights" don't mean squat today.
Oh JFC....no one can stop you from taking pictures in public of something that can be seen. I think you are really over reacting. Don't be ridiculous.

Latest posts

Top Bottom