Diligence always pays off!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Diligence always pays off!

So I went into factory mode tonight and cranked out several hundred 9mm's for a little afternoon out with one of MWCFD's finest. I always pay really close attention to the bullet seat stage on my progressive, always checking for the powder level in the case. HOWEVER, obviously one slipped by.

Just out of curiosity, and a little self torture, I started putting the made rounds on the scale to check total weight. What did I come across? Well, at first I thought something had gone wrong during seat. Much of the 124gr cmj was exposed above the case throat. Upon close inspection,... it was a .380 case that somehow made it past my case check post tumbling, and also through all 4 die stages of my progressive.

Just goes to show, it never hurts to go that extra step.

And for the record, yes, I feel wicked retarded.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
... ... ...

If thats your biggest blunder....you're way ahead of the curve :comfort:

I had a guy in class that slipped some reloads by me (I FORBID them)

Well sure enough he had a squib, lucky the bullet lodged shallow enough in to keep the next round from seating in battery.

Bad thing was he was trying to force it in :bigeye:

My bro Jeff caught it and snatched it from him. He failed.

he then tried to say it was the gun and not a failure to charge the cartidge properly. :smack:

btw...he was shooting a Glock.

oknavy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you found the problem before it found you.

My wife got this at Hobby Lobby:

[Broken External Image]

I clip it above the workbench...both hands are free to work. I hold a handful of brass under it, and toss into buckets depending on caliber and brand. The 4.25 inch lens makes it easy to spot the oddballs.

Here's the Hobby Lobby link: http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/lighted-attach-a-mag-812164/

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you caught that sucker. I've caught two 38 specials that got the 357 magnum treatment, but those are very easy to spot since the bullet sticks so far out of the brass.

Always a good idea to inspect your ammo after you get done loading it and then again before firing.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It must be something with the Dillon dies. On my Hornady press with Hornady dies I can tell a night and day difference in the force required to size them. The .380's just jump up in there with almost no resistance. I haven't gotten a .380 to the priming station yet. Good on you that you caught it.

Last night I was loading .45ACP's. I had an old Super Vel case that got completely loaded. I always give the cast bullet loads a quick wipe to get any lube off and take a look at the primer to make sure I actually seated it (I've been known to get a loaded round into the chamber only to find there is no primer :homer:). Anyway I guess when I seated the bullet it split the case about 3/4's the way from the mouth to the rim. :yikes2: I guess the old tale of the Super Vel loads being extremely hot must be true.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't made it that far yet, but the first .380 I had slip through felt funny going through the sizer and then stuck on the expander ball on the next stage because the rim is smaller. After that I pay close attention when a round resizes too easily. I had one make it to the seating stage the other day. One of these days I wonder if I'll have enough primed .380 brass to make it worthwhile to get dies for it. LOL!

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what do you think would have happened having a 9mm size charge in a 380 case??? I would hate to see what the case pressure would be. That might have put a kink in the fun at the range.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At least 380 and 9mm are somewhat similar.

I crammed a 40 cal bullet in a 38 super case and caught it when loading mags.

Woulda' been cool I tell ya.

How did you miss that? I would think that it would look like a mushroom.

So what do you think would have happened having a 9mm size charge in a 380 case??? I would hate to see what the case pressure would be. That might have put a kink in the fun at the range.

If it wasn't a max load, I bet you'd get away with it, but I'm sure not going to test it out.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, I did something kind of similar. I had been loading up some 44 mag using 11grs of unique. Later that day I decided to load some 45acp. Well I started loading and about 15 rnds into it I said to myself " Self, how many grains of powder are you loading in these 45 rnds?" The loading for 45 calls for 7 grains of unique and I was putting 11 because I had that number in my head from earlier in the day. I'm glad I second guessed myself because I doubt my baby eagle would have liked those 45's loaded with 11 grains of unique! It always pays to check then double check your work and after that check again just for good measure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom