Diligence always pays off!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what do you think would have happened having a 9mm size charge in a 380 case??? I would hate to see what the case pressure would be. That might have put a kink in the fun at the range.

No idea, but I wouldnt want to test it. Starting load for .380 100gr is 2.6gr of TG. This was 125gr FMJ in front of 3.7gr of TG. Sad thing is, I guarantee had it made it to the ammo can, I would have loaded into a mag today at the range and then shot it from an unsupported chamber (at least I think HK barrels are unsupported).

Also, I wanted to add that the final check is always a process I do. However, checking total weight is only when I get a gut feeling. Guess it paid off this time.

Tomorrow, Ill be testing several different "new loads" and hopefully, the boys at the MWCPD police range will be nice enough to let me and a MWCFD on their range so I can do it. (hint hint to any possible MWCPD we might have on here.)

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad it turned out okay.
Like's been said a thousand times around here "Reloading is a simple process chocked full of opportunities to screw up."

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is why I don't load from a bucket of brass. I pull them out and set them on the bench, case mouth up. Any brass of a different caliber sticks out like a sore thumb. When I grab a handful to set on the bench, I gently shake them. Any brass with a split case mouth will sound a little off pitch and I know to check each one in hand until I find it. Once they're on the bench, I use a flashlight over each one to search for left over dirt and debris in the case (find lots of spider webs, even after tumbling). It also allows me to look at each primer flash hole for obstructions. Then I grab a handful and turn them over to look at the rims and head stamps. I'll usually get a few more kernels of tumbling media out when I do this. I toss brass with deformed rims and bad head stamps like A-Merc, etc. Any crimped brass gets set aside to either deal with later, or sell off if I don't want to remove the crimp.

I set them to the side of the press and usually get about 500-600 rounds made in an hour on my Dillon 550. I have fewer stoppages in the production cycle because I took the time to prep and inspect the brass really well. When the press gets hung up on a bad piece of brass is usually when one can slip through without a primer or powder or crimp and into the loaded ammo bin. By implementing the quality control steps my ammo failure rate has dropped to nearly zero (two bad rounds in 10 years).

It does pay to be diligent! :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is why I don't load from a bucket of brass. I pull them out and set them on the bench, case mouth up. Any brass of a different caliber sticks out like a sore thumb.

It does pay to be diligent! :)

Thats pretty much what I do. I tried the bucket of brass thing, and had issues. The only squib I've had is one that I think was removed from the progressive, and checked powder weight. I think it was put back into the progressive without putting the powder back into the case.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well I like to think I didn't miss it, I DID find it eventually.

I was loading a lot of ammo for a class and only had one night to do it.

1500 rounds later and I had 1499 40s&w and 1 40/38super.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
This is why I don't load from a bucket of brass. I pull them out and set them on the bench, case mouth up.

Just about what I do, except I use one of the shell blocks. The .380 (9x17) is enough shorter than the 9mm Luger (9x19) that it is easily noticeable. I also inspect the brass as I pull it out of the tumbler.

tulsadave2003

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've added a couple of post production checks, I set all of my finished rounds on a flat surface (table) and any protruding primers will not allow the round to sit flat, if you just bump the table, the protruding primer offenders will wobble around, while the good ones stay flat. Then I chamber check them in a barrel THAT HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THE FIREARM, most chamber check offenders have not been properly crimped.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those interested in what would have happened... Im going to guess most likely nothing. I chamber checked the round and based on what I saw the round would have chambered so far forward the firing pin would have never contacted the primer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom