Dillon SDB Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The other Dillon thread inspired me to post this. I bought a used SDB from an OAS'er and am still having a nagging, intermittent problem with it.

It frequently gets stuck with the handle down and the press in the up position.. it comes to a very hard stop and will not come down until i slam it several times very hard.

I called Dillon and did what they suggested which was to take that big screw out on the back of the press - it still did it and they sent me a primer slide replacement which I installed yesterday. The primers advance fine, but the problem persists. I can't tell what the press is stopping against..it is something internal... i can't see it hitting anything from the outside. The stop is so solid though it shakes my whole press.

This only seems to happen in full progressive mode. When I do one round at a time it doesn't ever seem to happen.

Any ideas?

B

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to take apart or how since I didn't assemble it. The manual isn't clear on that either. Any help there?

B

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ensure your primer magazine is empty....else they will be everywhere. take the 3 or 4 screws out of the front of the press, that is pretty much all there is to it..for removing an old primer anyway.. guess you could take the powder magazine off if you wanted but not really necessary. Oh yeah, unbolt from your work station and after apart, turn upside down, use light, see if behind the primer feeding dealy wacker, see if you see anything, clean put back together. They are the most basic things, but oh work so well.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh.. i have taken the primer feeder assembly apart several times. Had to to replace the primer feeder thing that Dillon sent me. Is there more to take apart?

B

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just take the whole thing apart and give it a good cleaning and lubing. I'd suggest you either order a spare parts kit from Dillon and replace everything in the kit or see if H&H has one in stock. I've read some articles where some users do this once a year, needed it or not.

I don't know anything about the history of your machine, but you could do a basic rebuild and learn as you go. It's not hard to do at all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom