Direct TV Subscribers...help please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, here it is, I want the total truth about Directv...

I want Directv NFL Package through my tv...not through the Internet then into my tv

So, I've got some spare change and was thinking of getting Directv jsut for my den...nowhere else in our house.

I go online and read about signing up, billing, packages...etc.

I also read about reviews....holy crap!!! There must be 500 negative reviews compared to 1 positive review.

Hidden charges, charged for movies the owner didn't watch, price increase only two months after it was installed...customer service is horrible, no way to get compensated for money taken by Directv..even if it wqs thier mistake...etc, etc, and etc.

So...you...yes you. The subscriber to Directv...tell me straight, direct, and honest truth about Directv.

1. Weather related issues.

2. Installation issues and hidden cost

3. Your package, your agreed upon cost and for how long...any issues or problems?

4.Customer service..good or nonexistent?

5. Any and all surprise or hidden issues or cost.

6. How difficult or impossible was it to cancel ..even after the term was up.

Any and all negative issues please post..

Also....POSITIVE feedback:

Please list all positive attributes on this topic.

Thanks!!!

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have nothing bad to say about them other than they are too expensive. I have had them 20 years.

Sent from outer space or somewhere from my mobile device

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About 2 years with DirectTv. My first year was at a discounted rate because of a sign up price and friend referral. This was a 2 year contract and the first year was guaranteed at discount rate. Remaining 12 months would be the non discount rate specified. It HAS NOT changed.
I do not have my DirectTv system hooked up to the internet. So ordering movies is not something that can be accidentally ordered by myself or guests. Occasionally I have received a phone call telling me about a movie channel package trial for free. The catch is, I would have to call before a certain date to cancel it, so that I wouldn't be charged for the additional channels. I tell em to just fawk off, I am not interested in having to cancel a free trial.

Weather issues....I will divide this in 2 time periods. Pre new roof and post new roof.
Pre new roof. Rarely if ever had a weather issue, only time I can think of was from snow build up on dish. I took a pitcher of hot water and tossed the water up to melt snow. No big deal.
Post new roof. High winds will cause lag time or loss of signal. Ice storm caused lack of signal. It took several pitchers of hot water to remove that much build up. I have not tried to remedy the issue or called DirectTv to align my dish again. It should be a simple process if I would just do it. However, I am busy enough at the moment, I do not watch tv that much.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have the basic plus the encore channels. Most of what we watch is on the basic package. Encore westerns is why we upgraded. Most of the movies today are crap so why pay for them? Just my opinion.

FWIW we ended up on DTV because Dish wouldn't let us have two accounts at once.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've had Directv for several years now. We had NFL Network last year but won't do it again. Too much $$s for too little benefit, for us anyway. Sounded way cool ... not so much ... We get the same information from just regular channel surfing and can spend that extra money somewhere else ...

No complaints with either cost or anything else. Do have a loss of coverage from time to time from cloudy/heavy rain. Once from ice, too, but still even with that, we have had LOTS fewer outages than we had with Cox ... with Cox our tv outages were a friggin' weekly thing ... sometime (often) a couple times a week ...

All that said, when our contract period is up with Directv this time we are gonna drop paid tv and go with an antenna, Amazon Fire and Roku ... I'm tired of paying for 900 channels of infomercials ...

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had DTV for 8 months. Friends got us $20 off per month and out 1st contract year was half price so we've been paying > $45 a month so far. The Xtra plan includes NFL Sunday Ticket and gets 210 channels. We're much happier with DTV then we were when we had Dish for 8 years. No big issues with billing so far.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've had Direct TV since 2003, but while we upgraded so I could get FOX News and the Military Channel (now called American Heroes Channel), we refuse to get ANY of the movie channels like HBO or Showtime. Haven't checked out Encore, so I can't speak for that. When I want to watch a movie, I generally dig out one of my DVD's.

We recently had a receiver go out and they replaced it free of charge without causing an extension of the contract period. That is because we DID NOT upgrade to a fancier receiver. Had we upgraded, we probably would have had to extend the contract period.

I can't answer to any of the sports channels or packages as I'm not a sports fan.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They do now let you upgrade your equipment every two years at no cost of you do a two year extension. Not a bad deal if they have better equipment and you have no plans to change carriers. We just upgraded and being able to record more than two shows while watching something else is great. No more conflicts on those nights when all the good shows are on at the same time.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've had DTV for about 8 years. Weather outage is rare. Before the wind blew it down I also had an antenna for backup which is nice. Installation is hit or miss depending on the tech you get to install. We've had a few billing problems when they had us confused with someone in Oregon. With every issue my wife calls and gives 'em what for and they discount our bill a little. My package doesn't exist anymore and every time I look at changing it I don't because it will cost more to get less if I drop some channels.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't had it for a while now but was using it when it was two separate companies running things, DirecTV and USSB if that says anything. If you are worried about signal there are a couple things that can be done, one is you can purchase a larger dish than the 18inch one that you get free, larger dish better signal. In fact you can actually use one of the old C band dishes by getting a compatible LNB. Snow. . . not much down here but when it happens you probably don't want to have to try and knock it off especially if the dish is mounted on a roof out of easy reach, they make a "heater" that is basically a stick on mesh that can melt any snow or ice that accumulates on the dish. You can get one that is automatic (turns on when the temp drops to a certain point) or manual which is probably going to be a better idea since a lot of snow doesn't happen too much down here.

As far as prices. . . all I can say is the "entertainment service providers" are all gonna bend ya over, you just have to try and make sure they sweeten the deal. Don't call in saying you want that package for sports call in act like you don't care and may even hang up then get them to sweeten the deal. The reps have some leeway in prices and if they don't make the deal you like hang up and call back in ten minutes.

Service can't help ya there but as far as the reviews, people generally tend to only make bad reviews and 500 out of hundreds of thousands of subscribers seems pretty low to me.

One note on DirecTV vs Dish. . . I know for a fact Dish leases the equipment and wants it back even if it's really old and outdated, DirecTV doesn't as far as I know. I have one of the gen2 DirecTV Tivo boxes sitting in a closet and you can buy boxes through online sources all day long, you can also sell the dish at the end of your contract for a few bucks to an installer, they are always looking for them and will toss you ten or fifteen bucks for it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom