"School" me on Directv

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife loves Cox Cable bundle, my buddies have Directv.

School me on the Pros & Cons on Directv-bundle....bundle.

I have read some complaints on them taking money out of your bank account(various reasons)...hidden costs, fees, and leasing of equipment. Then saying they didn't receive the equipment sent back when you cancel.

I know everyone complains but give me the scoop on Directv....hidden cost, rising fees and price, how to pay them without them having access to your finances...etc.

I want to know about their bundle. During bad weather does the internet act up like the tv receiver does? Does Directv have disagreements with the local stations like I've heard?

Bad weather??? Service when equipment breaks down, contracts, and everything else.

Thanks!!!:cool:

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife takes care of paying our bill I haven't heard her say anything about taking money out of our account or anything the weather does affect the service like in a heavy rain ice builds up on the dish and causes problems but that's not hard to fix I have had other services but my opinion dtv is the way to go

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have DirectTV bundled with ATT Uverse for internet. The tv goes out in a heavy rain like I think most satellite services do, but the Uverse is a wire, so no weather problems there.
I've never had problems with them taking money.
One of our remotes quit and it took me about 2 hours one night trying to diagnose it and then calling and getting bounced around on the phone. That's the worst experience I had with them.
local channel 5 had a disagreement with them recently so 5 was not in service for a couple of weeks, but that's the only time. I think Dish has a lot more of those type of problems.
We can't get Cox where I live; I think I would go that way if I could just for the faster Internet. We can only get 6mbs speed from Uverse where I live.

Overall I'm satisfied with DirectTV.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have it. (No internet with it). It goes out when bad weather hits. I had some problems last year and when I called to report it, the first thing that came out of their mouths was a charge for a service fee and I needed to pay extra for an extended warranty contract.

I threw a fit and finally got a supervisor. Two days later a service tech came out and told me that the cable wiring in the attic had been installed improperly by their contracted installer. No charges for the corrections and he apologized for the problems.

I haven't had any problems since, but if I do I'll probably switch to Dish because of where I live.

Last edited:

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We just switched (signed up out at Sam's). they gave us a $200 Sam's gift card, plus a $100 visa card, and a reduced rate fee for 24 months. We have directv at the lake house and like it much better than Dish. It does act up in weather, but about all the services have some issue or another---but overall have been very pleased.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing to watch for is when they give you something free like hbo, showtime, NFL ticket etc. they will automatically renew at a charged item when trial is up, had it happen to me but caught it. I called and they reversed charges. I have had it for several years, got a call last summer and they reduced my rate for being a long time customer. Heavy rain will block signal but I switch to antenna when that happens. Prefer Direct over Dishnetwork by far.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My DirectTV goes out way more than it should. Sometimes it'll be a clear day and it still loses signal on some of the channels but other channels will continue to work. I guess it uses different satellites. If it's storm season and you're watching for a tornado, forget about using it. You better have an over the air antenna hooked up.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Dish here because of the outage issue with Direct. My mom, sister, a few buddies have Direct, they have terrible issues with weather interference.

}BuLL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My DirectTV goes out way more than it should. Sometimes it'll be a clear day and it still loses signal on some of the channels but other channels will continue to work. I guess it uses different satellites. If it's storm season and you're watching for a tornado, forget about using it. You better have an over the air antenna hooked up.
Yes, they have multiple satellites. Your dish alignment may need to be tweaked. You can check signal strength in Setup - satellite.

Latest posts

Top Bottom