Disel vs reg fuel freshness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcgee10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most sources say 3-6 months. The military says if diesel is being stored over 3 months then it needs a fuel stabilizer. The shelf life of the biodiesels is less than half of that. What you really have to watch if the microbial growth that will form in the prescence of water. I have seen multiple fuel filters that are clogged with algae blooms. You flush the system, drain the tank, change the filters, add a biocide and fresh fuel. The customer does not retreat and after 6-9 months the filters are clogged again. The military uses a product called LTSA-35A to stabilize the fuel. They use Kathon to act as a biocide to control the algae and such in the fuel.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If was at a farm auction a couple of years ago. They pulled an old case tractor out of a barn that had been in storage since the 80's. They dumped the clutch on it, and it fired off. Drove it the rest of the way to the auction site. A friend of mine bought it.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when my dad died he had a over head diesel tank . we sold the farm eqpt. when mom passed 10 yrs later , we were cleaning up the place to sell.my brother had bought a diesel tractor . he filled it up out of the over head tank it ran just fine on the 10 year old fuel . he brought a tank down & ran about 100 gallons of old diesel into it. it burned in the tractor also.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just park it with a full tank. That should minimize any water contamination from condensation. I think that is where you might could see some trouble. If you park a vehicle for a few years with a 1/4 or less of diesel in it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom