DIY MRE's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowlight

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone experimented with making their own MRE's? If so, how long is there shelf life before they go bad? I have just started to do research on these so any info for us would be great.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recall reading a magazine article a few years ago. Can't recall which magazine.

The author had gone to a box store ( for example, Budget Box & Bag in OKC), bought small boxes, all the same size, new in excellent condition, roughly the size of a cigar box, and then filled them with various food items from the grocery, plus condiments from any fast food place, wet wipes, plastic forks and stuff from the fast food joints, etc. (Actually you can go to Sams or Costco and buy a big box containing the little plastic bag thing with knife, fork, spoon, condiments, etc.).

And learn to can. I learned last year. It's interesting and fun.

Spec ops Grunt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found this on the internet, knew I saved it for a reason.

i.imgur.com_lyaHFyx.jpg

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found this on the internet, knew I saved it for a reason.

That's a pretty neat concept...good find.

Of course you really need to pay attention to the calories in one of those homemade packages. These meals will most likely be consumed at a time when you probably need energy. Ramen and crackers don't pack as much of a punch as a genuine MRE.

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not, but there is a guy over on SoonerSurvivalist http://soonersurvivalist.forumotion.com/forum who is always packaging up something or another ... He has a YouTube channel also. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJo-3IRMn9EinlorhAY-17Q I think most of his stuff is dehydrated, but I believe he has also canned quite a bit of stuff too ...Tell him BadgeBunny sent ya! :coffee2:

Thanks BadgeBunny. The link to SoonerSurvivalist is dead. Here's a working link to a SoonerSurvivalist thread on SurvivalistForum.com. Just trying to help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom