What's a good new 25 hp tractor package for the money?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All tractors under something like 100 HP are imported and be it Kubota or JD they have the cheapest manufacturer build them
You might take a look at 5N equipment located just north of Okmulgee on highway 75 on the west side of the highway I looked at some of their equipment a while back prices were not bad

That's not true. My 3025E says Made in USA, Moline, IL. I think that's true of most JD compact tractors. Many of the components are made overseas but the tractors are made/assembled in the US. There's a large plant in Augusta, GA, too.

Even some of my Frontier implements are made here...like my brush mower.

I can't speak for the other brands.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd also say 25hp is pretty much an entry level sized tractor for property maintenance. I'd say the average size is closer to 35 maybe. Many people looking for new machines (like me) are attracted to the 25hp tractors because they don't have to comply with the Tier IV exhaust nonsense. No DEF, no re-gen.

I thought I was going to regret buying a 25hp tractor but I don't. It fit our budget and I'm amazed at how capable it actually is.

I'd still like to have a little bit bigger tractor but this one does just fine for almost everything.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, I'll be the first to say,,,
I know nothing about tractors.

When I read "25 horse-power" I was amazed,,,
Is that the average HP for a tractor?

In my ignorance I would have guessed much more.

What is the norm for a normal sized farm tractor?

Aarond

Chore tractor is around 100 hp. Intermediate for tilling 180 hp. Most farms now use 300 hp and up for primary tillage and planting.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks Sooner P226,,,
That answers my question perfectly.

The reason I was wondering is because,,,
My little lawn tractor has 15 HP.

It will barely mow up a small incline.

Aarond

It's all in the weight and gearing of the tractor though and how that torque makes it to the ground. Old Case steam tractor made 150hp but could pull dozens of plow bottoms. Think some guy pulled a 50 bottom plow this last year with one in SD. The biggest JD tractor is the 9RX 640 has 690hp and weighs almost 60k pounds, but nobody plows with big plows in the real world any more, just at antique farm shows.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My thought is decide what you plan on doing with it. I have a 20hp JD 4wheel drive, with front loaded that does pretty much everything I need on my 7acre homestead. Pallet forks max out at about 700#. I sometimes I wish I had more there but other than that. 4’ brush hog. Tiller. box blade. Rake. All perform what I need. I grew up driving huge Case tractors for real farm work but I didn’t need anything like that. Decide what you need.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a big difference in gas power hp and diesel powered hp

Most of the time. The Ford 4000 gas and diesel motors are the same size at 2.8L/4cyl. The gas motor is about 5 or 6 hp more, and about 18 lb-ft higher torque, than the diesel. Might be true of some others, too...I just learned this when I bought my 1965 4000 gas tractor last summer.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the time. The Ford 4000 gas and diesel motors are the same size at 2.8L/4cyl. The gas motor is about 5 or 6 hp more, and about 18 lb-ft higher torque, than the diesel. Might be true of some others, too...I just learned this when I bought my 1965 4000 gas tractor last summer.
Those numbers don't tell the whole story, though. Having worked gassers alongside diesels, the gassers go through significantly more fuel under load than do the diesels.

I can also tell you that my dad replaced the 3-cyl. gasser in his (now my) 4000 with the 3 cyl. diesel from a New Holland backhoe back in the late '90s, and there's a world of difference between the two engines in the same tractor. (FWIW, the Ford/New Holland 3-cyl. engines will all interchange.)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
N
Everyone around me that farms has JD and IH equipment, but all their smaller tractors are Mahindras, LS or New Hollands. No complaints about my 2006 28hp Mahindra.
Nor My 35 hp Mahindra. It’s been one heck of a workhorse with over 2000 hours on it, mostly doing heavy lifting and tillage work putting in food plots. Very little mowing, but when I do, it does it well tith the 6’ mower.
The rear hydraulics that come included are a big plus.

Latest posts

Top Bottom