DNA Evidence Clears TX Man Who Spent 30 Years in Prison

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So we have innocent people going to prison and guilty people getting out....

http://www.themonitor.com/articles/probe-45786-corruption-tulsa.html

Corruption probe leads to conviction of illegal immigrant being vacated
December 29, 2010 8:28 AM

TULSA, Okla. — A Tulsa County judge has vacated an illegal immigrant's felony drug conviction in the latest of a series of legal cases affected by an ongoing probe into police corruption in Tulsa.

The immigrant, 23-year-old Ruben Flores-Olmos, had alleged that a Tulsa police officer and a federal agent planted drugs on him. Citing court records, the Tulsa World is reporting that District Judge William Kellough vacated Flores-Olmos’ conviction on Monday.

District Attorney Tim Harris’ office asked to dismiss the case without prejudice because of the involvement of an indicted police officer and ex-federal agent.

Flores-Olmos had been convicted in March 2007.

He is the 27th person who has been freed from prison, had charges dismissed, had sentences reduced or been granted a new trial as a result of the federal probe.

And isn't it ironic...don'tcha think?
~Alanis Morissette

SoonerDVM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Texas is just a little bit too proud of it's "Tough on crime and hang 'em high!" tradition.

By all means, BE tough on crime. Just make very sure you've got the right guy before you trash someones like. Or end it.

Perrone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Texas is just a little bit too proud of it's "Tough on crime and hang 'em high!" tradition.

By all means, BE tough on crime. Just make very sure you've got the right guy before you trash someones like. Or end it.

I blame it on the justice system in general. We have to have someone to blame for everything. We don't care who it is, but someone will be punished. If we can convince a few people that they are a criminal then who cares if they really are or not right?

I don't see this ever getting any better. Only worse.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In cases of seriously mistaken criminal judgements, why shouldn't the police and district attorney be subject to serious review if not actually put on trial?

It seems entirely too easy for a "likely suspect" to be railroaded.

Who oversees the justice system and holds the incompetent or malevolent police officer or district attorney accountable for their actions?

38Super

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the minimum they should have ot pay him is $250,000 per year in jail tax free. That should go for any person in any stare the in USA.

We need to set a state/federal minimum for what those states have to pay when it is found out the person was in jail on a wrong conviction, then we also need to look at the innocent people that were executed and see what their familes should be compensated as well.

Not saying he should not be compensated but....... where is this money supposed to come from??? $250,000 per year that he was in jail????
How many of us on this board make that kind of money?
If I knew I was going to get $250,000.00 per year spent in jail for a crime I did not commit, I might have to come up with something and pay someone off.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not saying he should not be compensated but....... where is this money supposed to come from??? $250,000 per year that he was in jail????
How many of us on this board make that kind of money?
If I knew I was going to get $250,000.00 per year spent in jail for a crime I did not commit, I might have to come up with something and pay someone off.

while not endorsing the $250k idea, please keep in mind that this man likely has no idea how to live in modern society. Think of all the things he has never done/learned to do. I doubt he has many marketable skills. That is the point. It's not like you'd go get locked up for 2 years and come out with half a mil. We are talking 30 years. Computers, cell phones, ATMs, etc etc. It's all passed him by.

Latest posts

Top Bottom