Do y’all have a favorite load for 38special?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Mainly gonna speak about lighter recoiling loads on this thread…

I shot some factory ammo today in my 642 since I haven’t shot it in awhile. Everytime I shoot it I’m reminded about how much it hurts my hand. I planned on shooting 50 rounds but only shot 20. Some of you here that I have met know I have an injury in my right arm from 12 years ago that I am fully recovered from but unfortunately I am getting arthritis in my right hand at a pretty early age.

On my 642 I switched from the stock grips to a set of VZ’s and that actually helps some… But was wondering if y’all have a favorite recipe for a lighter recoiling 38special load.

Kinda defeats the purpose for all my factory ammo but maybe I’ll get a full size 357 revolver someday. Heavier guns in larger calibers seem to be fine. .45acp in a polymer gun isn’t very pleasant but it’s extremely pleasant in my full size Kimber. 38spl isn’t fun in a Airweight but it’s probably fine in a Combat magnum for me.

tl;dr: Anyone have any light recoiling recipes for 38 special?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2.7 to 3.0 grains of WST behind a 147 WC. Bullseye works too.

I particularly like the Hornady but use coated double ended cast when I can’t find the Hornady. Makes shooting the Airweights fun.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I should have mentioned I have a 500 piece box of X-treme Bullets 125 grain flat point wad cutter. These worth using for a light load or should I get something else?
Sure. Just find a powder that gives you a low enough velocity that you can work up. The Lyman Cast Bullet handbook is a good load reference. You’d have to adjust your powder weight a little for the plated projectiles.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/Hogue-60000-Frame-Rubber-Monogrip/dp/B000KOVCFI
Had a set of these on a 357 snubbie and it helped a lot. Also will second the Hornady critical defense rounds. That is what I load in my Model 36 for my wife. She was is recoil sensitive do to arthritis as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Ultimate-Shooting-Breatheable-Material/dp/B08FMDSTWNHave also thought about shooting gloves with padding.
Tell the truth.....are those padded gloves for your wife or for you? 😜🤣

Latest posts

Top Bottom