Do you ever give anonymous gifts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every year my wife and I pick up one or two angels from an angel tree. We love it. This year, we did something a little different. We didn't exchange gifts, instead we used that money for more angels on the tree. We decided it would be a better use of the money. I wish I could say I gave everyday of the year but I don't. Maybe that should be my new year's resolution, to give more often.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
she started crying uncontrollably. Then the kids started crying ... then MY kids started crying ... Lord, what a mess! :shocked:

:cry11: I'm crying too. j/k

I'll pick up the difference when I see Seniors or Parents putting things back because they don't have enough. It's a small thing but you'd be really surprised at how appreciative some people are over a few bucks. My wife always wants to give money to the guys on the exit ramps but I don't let her. I'll often buy lunch for the homeless guys sitting in McDonalds trying to stay warm. I just ask the employee to take it to them & I leave without them knowing who it was from.

TRdoc: You could tell those you help not to clue people in on who you are, or you'll stop. If they're truly good people, they'll respect your wishes so that others can benefit from your generosity.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I gave a waitress the other day a $100 gift card. She was very nice and attentive, but it was more than that - just something that told me she needed a pick-me-up. One of those feelings you get, you know? We actually left her a card with our phone number, not because we wanted her to know who we were, but because I was MORE afraid there would be problems with the gift card. You know, it's one of those you buy at the store and they activate it at the register for you? I'm ALWAYS afraid there's gonna be a problem when they go to use it, so I wanted her to be able to get in touch if there were a problem.

That probably freaked her out a little. Next time just put the small receipt that shows the card was activated in with the GC....

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I usually give generous tips at restaurants because I know a waitress job doesn't pay a whole lot and they depend on tips to make it. I also have seen older couples in restaurants eating and I will ask the waiter\waitress to bring me their check and I pay and leave before they find out. I figure I have been blessed in a lot of ways and should pass it on. And so should anyone that is able to do so!!

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't usually give anonymously, but I do give to many people I don't know, quite often. All my wife's relatives are overseas, so we send money to them weekly/bi-monthly. Most people here in the states don't realize how hard some people in other countries have it. A small injury or illness, which we take for granted, can turn life threatening real quick. Especially when you don't have the money to seek medical care.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That probably freaked her out a little. Next time just put the small receipt that shows the card was activated in with the GC....

Yes, I thought of that. We specified for her to call us if there was a problem with the card. She did call my wife later and thank her. I didn't want to give her the receipt, as we are still going to claim it as a charitable deduction, as we do most of these kinds of things. No reason the gov't should get taxes off of us giving to others.

Latest posts

Top Bottom