Do You Have SHTF Plan?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perrone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
whoa fatty, how much were they feeding you up there? At best we got 3 a day sometimes 2 and some less than appetizing stuff prepped for us...

powdered eggs and some funky gravy with "sausage" comes to mind

Hot chow? Hahahhahahaha....Don't make me laugh. When we went to the "field" whether it be in -45 degrees or in Ft. Polk at 110+ I was an 88M man. We have stock piles of those boxes of MREs that the 11Bs didn't want. You better believe we ate what we could get.

Besides, those things are not made to fill you up. There we're plenty of times we ate 4-5 per day just to keep our stomachs at bay so we could focus on the mission.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you rotate the old stock to the food bank, it is a donation. Good idea if you are sick of eating some of your preps. The best thing about white rice is shelf life. Brown is nutritionally better, but will not keep as well.

J. Holly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last year, when the ice was moving into Stillwater, Wal-Mart was about out of everything. I mean the refrigerated, package prepared type of food.

They still had some soup, a package or two of the little round flat bread, some crackers, and fruit and salad and what not.

My family and I were fine, considering WE know how to cook these things. The most amazing thing though was that there were several girls in the line behind me that were buying TONS of microwave meals. I asked if that was what they were stockpiling, and they answered "Yes, because if the power goes out, we can store them outside since they were frozen." I asked how they planned on cooking them, they said "Duh!!! The microwave!" I said "Good call." and walked out after paying. My, how some people plan.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The most amazing thing though was that there were several girls in the line behind me that were buying TONS of microwave meals. I asked if that was what they were stockpiling, and they answered "Yes, because if the power goes out, we can store them outside since they were frozen." I asked how they planned on cooking them, they said "Duh!!! The microwave!" I said "Good call." and walked out after paying. My, how some people plan.

Are you sure they didn't have a small generator or power inverter?

We don't have a generator, but there is a power inverter for running my nebulizer for my asthma using one of the cars.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you sure they didn't have a small generator or power inverter?

We don't have a generator, but there is a power inverter for running my nebulizer for my asthma using one of the cars.

Don't think that a power inverter from a car would run a microwave.

And it would take most of a small generator. I'm not sure if the microwave has a start up load like a fridge or freezer, but it is going to draw at least 1000 watts. And depending on how long your extension chord is, you may not be getting the full 120 volts you need to run the microwave.

Dave

J. Holly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the looks of things, these girls would have lived either in a sorority house, most don't have back up generators that I have seen here, or they lived by them selves off campus. I can almost guarantee that they wouldn't have been thinking of a generator, having dealt with LOTS of college kids. I can almost assure you my initial thoughts were correct.

I would be surprised if these girls knew where to put the gas and check the oil in their cars, much less a generator.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the looks of things, these girls would have lived either in a sorority house, most don't have back up generators that I have seen here, or they lived by them selves off campus. I can almost guarantee that they wouldn't have been thinking of a generator, having dealt with LOTS of college kids. I can almost assure you my initial thoughts were correct.

I would be surprised if these girls knew where to put the gas and check the oil in their cars, much less a generator.

Never know. I've been surprised by "valley girls" before.

Latest posts

Top Bottom