DOD furloughs cut to 6 days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They can and have before. The last furlough (several years back) they went back and reimbursed. The irritating part for some of us, maintainers to be exact, is that our labor is paid for years in advance by congress. So, by furloughing us, all they did was cost DoD more money due to delayed maintenance and other costs. They didn't save a dime by furloughing about 60% of us. But nobody cares about that part. We've already been told that once we come off, we will be mandatoried 7 days a week until we make up for the 18 days of missed production. So now every week we will work an extra 20 hours and time and a half pay... Where is the savings there? We still have to support the warfighter.

For those wondering where I came up with the 18 days - we work 7 days a week around the clock. When they furloughed us, they cancelled all over time. We went from 7 days of work to just 4 days. So, the gooberment thinks they saved 6 days of pay when in the end they cost 18 days of production.

Huh...I did not know that. So I could conceivably get some free money after all this? Makes perfect sense. ;)

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you're getting WCF mixed up with WG. I'm GS too, but we're working capital funded (WCF).

I'd love to get back pay, but I'd be happy if they just let us retroactively charge that time to annual leave.

You're right, I spaced out. Technically, we are WCF here except sorta not really since our agency's budget is mostly fee for service.

glockman25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i worked on base through the safe haven thing so luckily i didnt lose any money per se. but if they do back pay i wonder if the people who were able to work on fridays through the furlough get compensated somehow?

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i worked on base through the safe haven thing so luckily i didnt lose any money per se. but if they do back pay i wonder if the people who were able to work on fridays through the furlough get compensated somehow?

Not sure what you mean...if you are subject to furlough, and your furlough day was scheduled for Fridays, isn't it illegal to then do work on Friday?

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
interesting. I'll have to ask my friends on Tinker and Altus.

yep, they got an e-mail saying next Friday is their last Friday (16th) furlough day. Apparently its a yay for some and a boooo for others. Depends on how well you planned. these are GS employees I got this info from.

GL all my furlough friends!

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean...if you are subject to furlough, and your furlough day was scheduled for Fridays, isn't it illegal to then do work on Friday?

Some were exempted from the furloughs (ie tornado victims) and got to come to work on the Fridays and get paid for them. They swept and cleaned but they still got full pay. If we do get reimbursed, those people will get hosed per se. Where I got 6 days off paid, they didn't get any special treatment. If we don't get back pay, then the other people got special treatment by getting full pay.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yep, they got an e-mail saying next Friday is their last Friday (16th) furlough day. Apparently its a yay for some and a boooo for others. Depends on how well you planned. these are GS employees I got this info from.

GL all my furlough friends!

I work at Tinker, but I'm just a lowly WG. I'm glad it's going to be over. I'll finally get to see what my promotion is going to pay like. I am sad however that I will have to work 5 days a week again. I'd kill for 4 - 10's.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some were exempted from the furloughs (ie tornado victims) and got to come to work on the Fridays and get paid for them. They swept and cleaned but they still got full pay. If we do get reimbursed, those people will get hosed per se. Where I got 6 days off paid, they didn't get any special treatment. If we don't get back pay, then the other people got special treatment by getting full pay.

Ah, ok I gotcha. That also makes me wonder about those shipyard workers who were exempted, e.g. Norfolk...they did regular work and got paid as well.

HardKnox

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just hope that they pass a budget finally so we will not have to go through this again next fiscal year. Does not look good since they have not done their job for several years now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom