Does anybody know where baby rabbits come from?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
momma cottontail built a burrow, should be 2 of them in that hole. had a cottontail do the same in one of my raised planting beds
I've seen 4-5 (possibly more?) in a burrow before. We brought one home once, and sweetie raised it on a tiny bottle.

That only seems to work if you get 'em before their eyes open though. Sweetie's daughter went back to that same burrow later and got one, and it acted crazy wild the whole time she had it.

YMMV. :drunk2:

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to say she probably did kill it. They are pretty easily dispatched. Man, I’m remembering back about 15 years ago now at the deer lease. I see a cotton tail and I’m like, “dinner!” So, I take the shot with my trusty single six at about 20 yards. Rabbit flops over dead. Go grab it, head back to camp and skin it out. No bullet holes anywhere on it. Must’ve scared it to death. True story.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
no, they don't bury them. they dig a tunnel, small burrow, and have them there, the burrow will be somewhat lined with momma's fur. the female will return to the burrow during the morning and early evening, squat over it and feed the young. the young are mobile in just a few days and sooner than you think possible are off hiding in deep grass
Nailed it!
My kids used to rescue them all the time when we rolled the burrows out of the ground with an implement behind a tractor. They grow quick.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't worry.......rabbits multiply quickly. Living here in Edmond one year we had a momma rabbit dig a hole in the middle of our front yard and have about 3 babies. As time went by and the babies got bigger she'd stand over the hole and let the babies reach up and feed.

I have accidently ....mowed them, run over them, my wife has run over them....all an accident...and they still keep coming back.

If momma is okay, she'll have at least one more litter.

***By the way*** If you want to know "Where baby Rabbits Come From"....

^^^ Lord, I apologize for that right there. ^^^Be there with the starving pygmies in New Guinea. Amen

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I caught one in the act of digging a tunnel under the pad our generator is anchored to. It was a poor choice for the rabbit since it's in the back yard where the dogs roam. It was back the next night and I scared it off again. It hasn't been back since. Flat learning curve, I guess ...

Woody

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have at least six now. Mama comes every evening to feed them.

Attachments

• DSC_1236.JPG
    DSC_1236.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC_1243.JPG
    DSC_1243.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 101

Latest posts

Top Bottom