Termites

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sister had termites and had the Orkin contract since day one and her exterior wall would sway in and out over a foot each way!!
Orkin said it was not termites as they were treating for them and it was ants and NO contract on ants..I replaced all the wood in the walls and removed all the termite dirt ..Yea ants.
F them companies.

I got termites in my wood pile and they will eat wood and plastic. they ate a plastic wheel barrow my father-in -law had.
Concrete..I seen mice chew a hole through that. Maybe termites will.

Old guy told my buddy dig a channel around the perimeter of your house with a shovel.
basically stick the shovel in against the foundation and pull it back to make a channel.
Pour used engine oil into the channel and let is soak in.

He claimed NO termites come near his house.
Oil will degrade concrete over time I am told. But I have not seen it happen yet. Even on oil soaked driveways.

I have seen termites nest in Cedar slabs also. I heard they would not attack cedar. Things you hear.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully they ain’t in my house anywhere. I haven’t seen any sign they are. I sprayed so much poison in my flower bed I can’t see anything surviving for long. I just got another product on called Taurus SC. It’s the same stuff the pro company’s use. I am gonna make sure and say vigilant on them to make sure I get them all killed. I can’t afford to pay a company thousands of dollars. But my wife told me some ladies she works with had a company called All Nations Pest Control treat their homes for termites and they drilled into the foundation and charged $800. I may give them a call.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Give Pristine Pest Control a call. He gives free estimates and is quiet a bit cheaper than Terminix and Orkin. Tell him Oklahomabassin sent ya.
https://www.pristinepestcontrolllc.com
20190430_183049.jpg

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Old guy told my buddy dig a channel around the perimeter of your house with a shovel.
basically stick the shovel in against the foundation and pull it back to make a channel.
Pour used engine oil into the channel and let is soak in.
Sounds like poor man's creosote. When my boss had termites in his house in town, he called an older guy who did pest control. He told my boss that the only thing that would reliably keep termites away was creosote, but its use had been prohibited because of concerns about groundwater contamination.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Termites must have access to water / moisture, Keep the base of the home DRY and the termites dehydrate and perish.. Flower beds bordering the home is a moist invitation..

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dad got a fogger when I was about 12 and we removed the fridge and all plates silverware etc. from the house and left for the weekend and he plugged in that fogger and chloradaned the inside of the house.

No idea why.. we did not have bugs but he had the stuff.

You could stand in the front door way 2 years later with the door wide open and watch a fly buzz into the house about 2-3 feet and turn right around and buzz right back out as straight as he flew in. Not a lie.

We had a chair with wood arm rests and it took the finish off the arm of the chair.. It was a few feet away from the fogger.

Good stuff it was.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did the company that treated your house tell you why they have to drill into the porch and foundation to injection the poison? I didn’t realize they could eat through concrete.

They often tunnel and nest underground. This is getting the pesticide under the concrete to where/how they'd burrow underneath and enter the home.

I had a few in a shed at my previous house (which was some 50+ feet from the residence, and they didn't make it to the home). I sprayed it inside and out and around it with over the counter termite and carpenter ant spray. Heavily. It did the trick.

At my last home they were in the mulch and got inside one bedroom wall. I had that done professionally as they were in the walls and under the slab inside and outside of that wall. Sucks but worth it to get it done right.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I forgot, Terminex dug a trench about 6" deep in some areas and put Thermidor int he trench to keep the rat fink termites away. Then too if you neighbor is close by and has termites and doesn't treat them, you can have them as guests at your home-that's what I hear.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They put down termite treatment before pouring our slab back in '76 (probably Chlordane, it was an off-the-shelf item back then).

I talked to the FmHA guy (IIRC?) about them being able to go through concrete, and he said they can secrete an acid that dissolves it. So they don't actually "chew" through concrete, or at least not while it's rock-hard.
:drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom