Does anyone have any experiance with the custom turret scopes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you "Count Clicks" with your current scope? Do you think I may be better served to just get a mil-click/dot scope and something like the mil-dot-master or ballisticard? Thanks.

You don't want to count clicks, if your scope uses moa, just dial to the desired moa. i.e. My 6mm requires 5.25 moa at 500yds, I dial to the first click past 5 on my scope. (each click represents .25moa on this scope)

As for determining your come-ups, there are many ballistics programs that will get you very close and can be adjusted for conditions.

ruger461

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't want to count clicks, if your scope uses moa, just dial to the desired moa. i.e. My 6mm requires 5.25 moa at 500yds, I dial to the first click past 5 on my scope. (each click represents .25moa on this scope)

As for determining your come-ups, there are many ballistics programs that will get you very close and can be adjusted for conditions.

This is sounding more like a way to go. I have never moved the dials on my rifle/scope. Bought it used in Highschool (92) and it was already set. Is this what everone speaks about when they say it will re-zero, it will dial back to the original setting and still be on target. I have always just held over, but want to try my hand at steel in the 5-600 yd range. Thanks again for all the help.

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is sounding more like a way to go. I have never moved the dials on my rifle/scope. Bought it used in Highschool (92) and it was already set. Is this what everone speaks about when they say it will re-zero, it will dial back to the original setting and still be on target. I have always just held over, but want to try my hand at steel in the 5-600 yd range. Thanks again for all the help.

I believe this is correct. Let me try to give ya a scenario. Let's say I shoot a target at 500yds after dialing up 5.25moa. Then I want to bring the scope back to my zero (100yds - personel preference) I simply turn the knob back to 0.

This is a generaly scenario, I recommend rechecking your zero whenever possible. The scopes nowadays are very precise but when we go crankin' on them they don't always go back to 100% 0. You can spend 2k+ on a scope and still occasionally run into this.

ruger461

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe this is correct. Let me try to give ya a scenario. Let's say I shoot a target at 500yds after dialing up 5.25moa. Then I want to bring the scope back to my zero (100yds - personel preference) I simply turn the knob back to 0.

This is a generaly scenario, I recommend rechecking your zero whenever possible. The scopes nowadays are very precise but when we go crankin' on them they don't always go back to 100% 0. You can spend 2k+ on a scope and still occasionally run into this.

Thanks for all the help. I feel much more comfortable with the idea of moving the dials now. I was always told that once zeroed you NEVER move the things. The afore mentioned rifle is a Ruger M77 in 25-06 with a VXII on it. It has been utterly reliable over the years that I have owned it but like I said I just held over (never if shooting at game though) so my longest shots are around 300 yds at animals.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bulletflight for the iPhone. Get the middle priced one. You can input the ballistic coeffecient, fps, angle to target (which it van calculate using the phones accelerometer), wind speed and direction, and atmospheric conditions (which it will automatically give you based on your GPS coordinates). I may be missing some things but it's pretty thorough. It then tells you how many moa and how many clicks to move the scope based on your target range.

ruger461

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bulletflight for the iPhone. Get the middle priced one. You can input the ballistic coeffecient, fps, angle to target (which it van calculate using the phones accelerometer), wind speed and direction, and atmospheric conditions (which it will automatically give you based on your GPS coordinates). I may be missing some things but it's pretty thorough. It then tells you how many moa and how many clicks to move the scope based on your target range.

I'm on it!!! That has to be the coolest thing ever. I never even thought to check my I-Phone. Thanks a bunch for that info.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your rifle and cartridge choice will be fun to work with.

For your scope, suggest "aiming" a little higher if you really are serious about trying to get the best out of your rifle.

Check the Horus Vision Falcon or SWFA's line of SuperSniper scopes to see if you can find something a little closer to the range of your wallet without having to move up to the better scopes for now. Either should have recticle and turret choices that will make adjustments and holdovers more workable and repeatable than any of the run-of-the-mill so-called "hunting scopes" that clutter up the shelves in most stores.

Serious tactical shooters seem to prefer Heinsoldt, Schimdt & Bender, Premier Heritage, US Optics, and NightForce (they aren't cheap scopes).

Notice that I didn't mention Leupold?

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Serious tactical shooters seem to prefer Heinsoldt, Schimdt & Bender, Premier Heritage, US Optics, and NightForce (they aren't cheap scopes).

What's the matter with leupold target/tactical scopes? My 6.5-20x50 has beat out a lot of nightforce, uso, schmidt bender. Although I have opted for the 32x nxs simply for the increased magnification.

I've never seen a horus or a super sniper at a ukd match.

ruger461

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your rifle and cartridge choice will be fun to work with.

For your scope, suggest "aiming" a little higher if you really are serious about trying to get the best out of your rifle.

Check the Horus Vision Falcon or SWFA's line of SuperSniper scopes to see if you can find something a little closer to the range of your wallet without having to move up to the better scopes for now. Either should have recticle and turret choices that will make adjustments and holdovers more workable and repeatable than any of the run-of-the-mill so-called "hunting scopes" that clutter up the shelves in most stores.

after reading your post I looked at the SWFA and think it looks pretty good. I have also been looking at one by Millett, any thoughts

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With a bit of reading, it looks like the super sniper scopes are fixed power and made by tasco. Although with that said, the reviews seem to be for the most part postive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom