Does anyone have experience with a 7.62x39 AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DasSieben

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im looking to build a 7.62x39 AR. First off its not my first choice, but I already have an sks and would like to be able to use the ammo I have in both. I've seen a lot of reviews and they seem all over the place. Basically if you have one and were willing to post your experience good or bad I'd be grateful! Thanks in advance!

rsc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I built one as an AR pistol, 11.5" barrel so I could keep a happy velocity. The plastic MGW? 10 round magazine I had worked great as did downloading 20 round AR mags to 10 rounds or so. I tried the C-Products mags a couple of times but did not have the time to "tune" them so I can't really give them a glowing recommendation although others seem to love them. The 7.62x39 round is an accurate round, the AR is an accurate platform. The high-capacity magazines are hit and miss, mostly misses. I didn't get the upgraded, cryo-treated bolt for it, I found the standard 7.62x39 bolt worked fine for me and I was out shooting it like crazy for several years. Regardless of what your thoughts on using steel-case ammo in an AR are, do not use Wolf- it is very dirty and underpowered. I gave up trying to get through a box of twenty when every single time I fired a round it short-stroked the bolt or double-fed a round. I liked the caliber although I am ambivilant about AR's but that pistol was real fun to shoot though!

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a couple and never had any problems. I use ar-stoner mags. The last one I built used a sota arms barrel ($99) cheap to burn up all the corrosive ammo I got. Turned out the barrel is very accurate.

DFX

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Colt in the mid '90's.
It wouldn't shoot laquered case mil-surp ammo.
Accuracy was ok with good brass case ammo.
It was a nice short range deer and hog rifle.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ARP x39 when H was building a few...........sadly no longer for ya, nor does he carry the barrels. Mid Length 16" with ARP Bolts et al, and has been flawless. Accurate, good recoil control, etc.

Mags - most ASC / Stoner have worked well, BUT there have been some feeding issues at time, but Not many at all compared to what others rant about. I posted the 'mag fix' in another thread for a member......the gist of it.

1. Grind down the joint in the front of the mag so the mag case doesn't catch on it

2. Replace springs with Wolff AK +pwr springs

3. Grind out the speed bumps under the lips IF ABLE.

4. IF needed - widen the M4 ramps and POLISH

5. Also check the gas port, or make sure the port is properly sized for 762x39 when buying a barrel

Ballistic Advtg has a few melonite x39 barrels left - carbine though, Gun Broker has em too for really good pricing but uncertain in quality, Sotaarms has em in SS but uncertain on qual. , other are avail in SS

All stated - it is the unit I shoot the most. Do it again - YES, with ARP gear as a requirement.

But if I was going to have just One build to shoot a larger cal - 300 blackout. same mags, same everything nearly. requiring less parts and mags for the diff. cals.

Naturally, Everyones experience and Opins will vary - as I have had no probs with Wolf Poly or Golden Tiger or the Wolf change-over stuff.

Forgetting who in TN builds uppers / barrels with Melonite treatment, but H's AR15Performance site has them listed I think.......

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a COLT. Ir runs good on the factory 20 round magazine, but not so well on aftermarket hi-caps. All of the people I know with experience with these agree that the only issues with them are (usually) magazine related.

BallisticCoupe5L

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive been looking at doing the same thing. I've always had 223/556 AR's but really want to do it in the 762x39. Be a cheap day at the range with that round. LOL I'm really considering it after the first of the year.

DasSieben

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for sharing. It sounds like the biggest complaint are the mags but with a little tinkering are fixable...I'll probably try asc mags first.

Wolf44- awesome info. I will keep your tips in mind when i start. To bad about ARP. Ive heard a lot of other people saying good things about them as well. I agree that the 300 blackout would be the best and eventually i want to add that as well! For the time being i just want something to shoot my surplus ammo.

mr ed- I'm glad to hear about the sota arms barrel, I was thinking about starting off with their complete upper. You wouldn't happen to have any info on the rest of their parts.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for sharing.

mr ed- I'm glad to hear about the sota arms barrel, I was thinking about starting off with their complete upper. You wouldn't happen to have any info on the rest of their parts.

I've used their barrels, stripped uppers,low profile gas blocks. All have been well made. Just be warned. If your in a hurry use somebody else. They can take 4-6 weeks to deliver. At the time I was buying parts they were way,way cheaper than anybody else. They have raised a lot of their prices and there are several places cheaper except on barrels.

Latest posts

Top Bottom