Does anyone remember when the Wannamacher show would have celebrities attend ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked tables for a friend at a couple of shows in OKC when Bo Gritz and Randy Weaver were there. Seemed like about every 30 minutes or so Bo was on the PA system announcing that he and Randy would be giving a talk and hawking Weaver's book.
I had a buddy that used to have a few tables at all the shows from Texas to Kansas. He was good friends with Bo and Horst. You ever meet Bo's wife? My buddy would melt whenever she was around lol.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For many years, there was a group of us that always had an island on the upper floor. One table was a couple of excellent artists. One of the did the engraving and the other guy carved ivory grips. Hank Williams, Jr had mailed a nude photo of his girlfriend to the grip guy, wanting grips for a 1911 with her likeness. The grips were beautiful, and Williams came to pick them up himself. He stayed around talking to all of us for quite awhile and gave a thick envelope of cash to the fellow.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For many years, there was a group of us that always had an island on the upper floor. One table was a couple of excellent artists. One of the did the engraving and the other guy carved ivory grips. Hank Williams, Jr had mailed a nude photo of his girlfriend to the grip guy, wanting grips for a 1911 with her likeness. The grips were beautiful, and Williams came to pick them up himself. He stayed around talking to all of us for quite awhile and gave a thick envelope of cash to the fellow.
The more I know about Hank the more I like him. I think I've seen him in concert five times, back in the eighties.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Horst Petschler, Bo Gritz, I remember meeting Randy Weaver at a show, but I don't believe it was Wannenmacher's.
Randy was at an OKC show as well as Horst. I bought an autographed book Horst was selling that has a chapter about him, Dayfighters, talked with him a bit, a very intersting guy with some good stories of the war, he told a joke about the civilians of Berlin asking Goring why he allowed the Americans to bomb Berlin, his answer was "so they won't have anyplace to stay when they get here". Horst actually retired from Boeing in Witchita and was on dialysis then, around 1991-94.

Latest posts

Top Bottom