Does anyone use 16 gage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was raised with a 16 guage and still think they are great for b'whites, but sadly there are few around here anymore. I'm afraid the 16 is on the way of the dodo.

superdave65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an old Winchester model 21 that my grandpa bought in the 30's. I've killed a ton of rabbits, pheasant and steel plates with It. I bought a bunch of cases of ammo for it a decade ago, shouldn't run out any time soon

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love 16's! I've got a Browning BPS and an early 70's model 870. Both get quite a good amount of time in the field. Ammo can be a little pricey, but I've been fortunate enough to find good closeout deals over the years and purchase it in bulk at great prices.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to know an old man who despised the 16. "Shoots like a 20, kicks like a 12." I think his view was a little extreme, but it has always been a niche gun, and todays gun market simply won't support it. The 16 is a poster child for shotshell reloading, and if you do that you should be able to build loads that will serve you better than the limited factory offerings.

Also, reloading will assure you that you will never want for ammo if it gets closer to extinct on the ammo shelves.

I own only one, a double barreled rabbit-eared inheritance that I have never fired, but it holds a permanent place in my safe. I may get it checked out and worked on a little, and try it out. One of the firing pins appears to have a bad spring, and stays down when depressed.

It's a Riverside Arms Co, from Chicopee. MA

Latest posts

Top Bottom