Does becoming receptive?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took a long drive yesterday morning and this morning because I figured things would be moving around pretty well... and I was correct. Yesterday morning I saw 16 bucks, almost all were chasing does. Twice I saw the same the following, which made me think that maybe the does are now becoming hot and more receptive to breeding.

Was driving logging roads and on a clearcut about 50 yards off the road I saw a buck with a weird looking rack. I started glassing him and noticed another buck, then a huge buck. All three were in a circle staring at the same little thicket where a doe was standing. The big buck kept the other two backed off a little and any advance toward the doe by the smaller two would result in a lunge by the big boy. The doe pretty much stayed right in the thicket but any attempt to move, she would be corraled back to the thicket by any of the bucks. I watched this for 15 minutes or so. Drove on down the road and saw the exact same scenario. Three bucks had a doe pinned down and would not let her take a step. The past few weeks anytime I saw a buck trailing, the doe would just run off as she pleased and the bucks would chase her or find another doe. This got me thinking that maybe the two does I witnessed were coming into heat and the bucks could smell this and did not want her getting away. Would this be accurate? Thoughts?

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it is a little early for this to happen. Okla Co is having very few road kills. I am seeing little movement on my hunting land. OCPD is reporting very few road kills.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen a buck chasing over in the Choctaw area. I have heard others near draper say they are seing chasing. I however am by thunderbird and have watched buck still together and does running in packs. So it is hit and miss right now in my opinion.

jjason

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bucks are really chasing them on my farm.my patience finally paid off and I got a nice 11pt and saw another 10 & 12pt but never came in range.even with the crazy wind they moved all afternoon chasing does and big mature bucks

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
they have been chasing for a couple weeks down by talihina. they started the first part of muzzleloader season and was still going fair this weekend.had 2 come by my blind just out of range

I would have to agree with this kdlong, I have seen them chasing them for a couple of weeks down here, and with what I saw this weekend, it may be getting time. Didn't see much on the drive this morning though. Saw a few does and only two had boyfriends. It was 20 degrees warmer this morning than it was this weekend, so that may have played a part. Have a place around a 25 acre lake that has some wide opening and the deer are moving out there all day long. There is a little 7 point that you can find from sunup to sundown. All I can say is he better wisen up if he wants to last long around here.

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
I would have to agree with this kdlong, I have seen them chasing them for a couple of weeks down here, and with what I saw this weekend, it may be getting time. Didn't see much on the drive this morning though. Saw a few does and only two had boyfriends.nex It was 20 degrees warmer this morning than it was this weekend, so that may have played a part. Have a place around a 25 acre lake that has some wide opening and the deer are moving out there all day long. There is a little 7 point that you can find from sunup to sundown. All I can say is he better wisen up if he wants to last long around here.

next week they are calling the highs to be in the 50's so it should get real exciting then.the first weekend of riffle should be some great hunting

je4bowhuntin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have not seen at does since last week on my place here by Harrah but I have seen 3 smaller bucks in 3 hunts. One just came by, one came to a can call and the one today came in to some rattling. Wondering where my does went and when the bigboys are going to start moving?0

mike miller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was sitting at my desk this morning 7:12 am and south of my shop a doe came across my 6 acres and at 7 :14 a ten point buck came through trailing her. Head down on exact trail. Nice buck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom