Does it bother anybody else when........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaredC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A gun manufacturer has policies in place that go beyond what is legally required

For instance, I was browsing Yankee Hill Machine the other day and looking at their less than 16" long, complete uppers. Checking on what was in stock (mostly nothing) and what not. I noticed that there was a notice saying they would only ship less than 16" uppers to an NFA capable FFL. At first I thought it was a mistake, but on every complete upper less than 16" it said the same thing. So I emailed them asking why would I be required to ship through an FFL for an upper as it is not required, it doesn't matter what size it is. I explained that I have a pistol dedicated lower and am needing an upper. They answered with basically if someone were to buy the upper and unlawfully put it on a lower with a stock and commit a crime with it then they would be liable and by requiring this they are placing the liability on the FFL. I found this answer particularly comical since if that was true, they would be liable any time one of their products were misused.

Anyways, its not a huge deal, since they never have anything in stock and my transfers are only $10, but I doubt I would even be charged that since no forms would be required. It just kind of stuck in my craw that a manufacturer is taking it upon themselves to be enforce even stricter measure than our government is. Call me crazy but Id like to think most of the manufacturers would be on our side.

How do you guys feel about it?

Edit: Seems they don't even list any of these uppers on their site now, but here is an example........You have to use a Class 3 dealer even for a short barrel: http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_29_62&products_id=434

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am sure the policy is being driven by a lawyer that represents the company. his job is to cover their butts as much as possible, this 'rule' helps do that.

like you said, they never have anything in stock so it's a non issue.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There have been a few attempts to sue gun manufacturers when their guns have been used in a crime. All cost the company lots of money to fight and those crazy libs have decided this is a good tactic to use against guns.

JaredC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There have been a few attempts to sue gun manufacturers when their guns have been used in a crime. All cost the company lots of money to fight and those crazy libs have decided this is a good tactic to use against guns.

Understood. But limiting the sell of short uppers or barrels to only NFA dealers is their answer to being free of any liability?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Understood. But limiting the sell of short uppers or barrels to only NFA dealers is their answer to being free of any liability?

It will not stop all the frivolous lawsuits designed to drive them out of business but it will stop some.

Latest posts

Top Bottom