Dog question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got an 8 year old lab that I am afraid I am going to have to retire soon, earlier than planned. She is starting to lose her hearing to the point that it may become a safety issue. I started noticing it about a year ago, and now she doesn't even meet me at the gate when I get home cause she doesn't hear me pull up. When she is in the field, I can tell that she often doesn't hear my commands and just keeps on doing whatever she is doing. It isn't that she is just ignoring me, I can tell a difference in the way her ears perk or don't perk whether she hears me or not. Not sure what would cause this other than years of sittin in the duck blind beside my shotgun while I miss ducks I shoot at. It is really depressing and concerns me quite a bit. Physically, she is in prime shape and has more drive to hunt than she knows what to do with. But when I can't control her, it is a safety issue, and I never want to put my favorite hunting partner in a dangerous situation. I never whistle trained her, but am considering doing that if it seems like she can hear and respond better to that than my voice. Ecollar is out of the question, as that is not fair to give her a correction when she cannot hear my commands. Has anyone ever been in this situation or have any advice?

Red Earth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A dogs hearing goes naturally just as humans. Sitting in a closed blind rapidly accelerates the process! I bent down in our blind to get something last week... birds came in and the crew shot! Instant headache and I couldn't hear over the ringing for an hour!!!!

I have trained pointing dogs for a year or two, and this is where one of my pet peeves come in with lab guys. Don't get me wrong... I don't have a problem with the dogs, I have Chessie's too, Just the training mentality.

Most labs are directed to down birds. Whistle, hand, or spoken commands. They are hardly left to think or use their nose on their own. Few are trained to track...and if they are, most are taught improperly,(same goes for most dog breeds here though!!!!)

I would still hunt with your dog if she knows what her job is. There is no reason to speak sentences to them anyway! Take only people you trust to shoot over her. My rule in our blind with any dog is.... If I see your gun come up on a low flyer while the dog is out.... YOU Will GET CLUBBED HEAVILY ABOUT THE HEAD! Never invited back, that is if you can make it back to your truck!

Take the dog out... let her enjoy the latter part of her life....until it starts getting dangerous for her!

PJ

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No reason to speak sentences to them??? Apparently you aren't as close to your dog as I am mine! We have lengthy conversations!

I rarely have to direct her towards birds. Can't say that she is "properly trained" to track, but she follows her nose primarily and I let her. I use her for quail and pheasant hunting as well, she is as good of an upland dog than she is on waterfowl.

I plan on continuing to take her out when I feel the situation is suitable, it would break her heart to see me coming back from the field and she didn't get to go. Hell, it'd break my heart too. Just looking for ways to cope with a hearing loss.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a black lab that is 12 and he's retired this year. I took him last year and found out that he's a one limit dog. Me and my brother killed both our limits but after the first 6 or 7, Mack was done retrieving. His hips aren't what they used to be and he's out of shape. I thought I could get him back in shape for this year but its not going to happen. He still has fun and runs around and plays with my fiance's great pyrenees. The big white dog picks on him and I think Mack lets her, for a while. Then he gets tired of it and snaps at her. I think its funny as hell because I know Mack and what kind of temperament he has. The fiance doesn't think its funny though.

I'd say still take her hunting while she is still able to. I missed out on some of Mack's prime years and regret it now.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
as far as the e-collar, I rarely use the shock part. it has a beeper that I can hit and my dogs immediately stop whatever they are doing and look at me to see what's going on. I think between the beeper or whistle and hand signals you should get a couple more good years out of her.
Sidenote - when she gets too old to hunt and you are ready to trade her in on a newer model let me know. I love to have an old dog at the farm just as a pet and friend to go walking with and to play with my 1 year old. I have a 14 year old lab now that can't make the walks anymore, and I'd be surprised if she made it through the winter with her joint problems.

Red Earth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Believe me....some of the best relationships in my life have been with my dogs! They are the best listeners, travel partners and friends, no doubt!

When I said the comment about sentences... I meant in training and giving commands.

If you use the dog for upland hunting you are S.O.L. I would put a bell or beeper collar on her so you can have an idea where she is at all times. Hunting quail in tall grass will make it harder for the dog...and nerve racking for you.

Waterfowl is a different story.... I would take her...you will lose a few shots on some birds....but at least your best bud is with you!

PJ

Latest posts

Top Bottom