Don't Waste Your Time with Dick's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Initially, I was leaning towards the Dick's manager. Thinking, OK maybe the ad was misleading or a typo.

After seeing the ad posted, I don't really see how it can be interpreted as anything but "buy one get one" followed by "50% off entire stock of ammunition".

I would have said and thought the same thing.

Can't believe that the OP was the very first person that brought this to the manager's attention. If he was any kind of manager, he would have posted a "correction" at the ammo area to avoid future problems.

Dave

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but people are complaining about paying too much for ammo at Dicks. Historically, Dicks isn't a firearms and ammo store. Why would one expect to get the best pricing on these items. Does Dicks have misleading or false advertising? Probably no more than the average large retailer. If you want the best prices on your hobbies then shop at the stores that specialize in your hobby. Hell, in Kommiefornia, they don't even have firearms at Dicks. IMO, they are the place for athletic apparel and sporting goods.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up the Troy for $729 on Wednesday. They were out of stock but ordered one for me at that price and it should be here this week. Plus I got 15 back in Dick's Dollars or whatever they call it to spend in the store. Everytime I go in I have a $10 of $50, and since a lot of their stuff is the same price as Academy, its worked out in my favor. I still go to Academy on some things, especially on my way home, and Dick's for others. Two different markets. Academy is more outdoors, and Dick's is more sporting goods. Baseball selection is so much better at Dick's. Layout is fantastic, don't have to dig, everything is laid out by style and size (gloves).

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pure Marketing - happens all the time. Some businesses are just less sleazy and more subtle than Dick's.

The layout suggests 50% off all ammo and that's exactly what the dicks at Dick's wanted you to see and think. Why? Because once you're there and find out the real deal is buy one at full price and get one of a same or lesser at 50% off most people won't bother to put their selection down and go somewhere else.

Walmart is an example of masters of marketing, getting people into the store and keeping them there.

Example 1. Ever get a prescription filled at Walmart. Wife does it all the time. Ask them how long to fill it? Answer - every time - 1 hour. Why an hour? People will wait an hour, wander around buy stuff etc etc. Wait more than an hour - they go home and come back. Same principle as pricing stuff at $19.99 instead of $20.

Example 2. Walmart advertises DVD players at $39. You go to Walmart to buy the DVD player. They're stacked in a big pyramid in the aisle. You find 'em and immediately say to yourself, "I'm not buying that piece of crap" and end up buying a $69 or higher player - which you could have found at the same or better price somewhere else. Now that's smart marketing.

It all boils down to predator and prey. Businesses are the predator and you are the prey.

Caveat emptor!

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stopped by Dicks lastnight and saw the buy one get one 50% signs laying around the ammo section. I grabbed a few boxes of Steel shotgun shells and headed for the door. Both boxes rang up full price, when questioned about it she said that ammo deal was a "doorbuster" sell only valid until 2pm.

I wasn't having any of that, the signs were still all over the ammo aisle and made them honor the deal.

There are occasional good deals to be had at Dicks, but you have to pay attention at the register.

458 SOCOM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe if all of you guys will boycott Dicks, then they will be hard up for customers to screw, so they they will soften up on their prices. Then y'all can go back to liking Dicks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom