drop-in is rarely drop-in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Heres a pic of the chamber of a high end manufacturer's drop-in barrel.
45acp, 1911. Chamber is cut to length, but not reamed to proper diameter.

This pic was taken with about half of the chamber finish reamed.

[Broken External Image]

I took the gun in from a non-local for some refinishing and sight cuts. Some of the recent upgrades he mentioned he did looked a bit rough, so I decided to waste my time and money to make sure he was a happy camper and check out some things. The safeties he installed were functional, so that was good.

With this work and some other boogered up stuff that I made right, I could have custom fitted a nowlin or kart barrel for the same price he has in it and he could be shooting gnats. I hope he enjoys and appreciates the extra work I did for him. I did it gratis because Ive had it a rather long time and I appreciated his patience.

Im getting more efficient, but Im still pretty busy round here.

Just thought Id ramble here a bit.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had a few parts come through that were "drop in" but usually have to final fit to make them "Correct"

And then there are some gun owners who just don't care, as long as the gun shoots, but they are not my customers so I make sure any gun I see is correct.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had a few parts come through that were "drop in" but usually have to final fit to make them "Correct"

True, but the finish ream on the barrel should be done on a "drop-in" barrel. Finish reamers aren't cheap, and they aren't something the average Joe would have in his tool kit.

Yeller... if you didn't do things like this and go above and beyond, you wouldn't have the reputation that you have built on this site.

The way I look at it, you can be a business man and make money and move product asap... or you can be a 'smith (or a good guy) and do things simply because it won't be "right" until they're done... even if you don't get the extra pay... you get the gratitude and reputation you've acquired.

:)

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

And then there are some gun owners who just don't care, as long as the gun shoots, but they are not my customers so I make sure any gun I see is correct.

I can confirm this statement!!!! Just met HB today for some work, very top notch!!!

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You came to Tulsa and didn't let us know?

You cheatin' son of a ............

:)

I'll be up that way again in a few weeks, I'll let you know when, and maybe we can have a meet&great. Sorry about this last time but I had lots of business to do. Was kinda all over Ok yesterday.

Latest posts

Top Bottom