Drug dogs in school parking lots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is this legal search or is it a violation of the constitution? Happened yesterday and they called my son out and told him their dog got a hit on his truck. He saw no dog however not knowing any better he opened the truck and let them ransack his truck. They found nothing of course and left all his stuff laying everywhere. This is his personal property so do they have a legal right to check it? I can see having the dogs inside sniffing lockers that are the schools property but not a vehicle. Am I wrong?

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was there ever a dog? Maybe they were just bs-ing kids into giving consent for searches off of anonymous tips, or thinking they might get lucky.

If he consented, I'm certain that's legal. Whether or not an initial dog search would have been legal, I'm less sure.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Wrong or right, they've been doing that since the late 80's...........a couple of times I was called to the office, my parents called, and I was reminded not to leave loose shotgun shells in the truck. Accidents happen. Don't recall anyone being busted for drugs in their cars..........lockers, yes, but not in the parking lot.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure using a dog on school (a.k.a. government) property to establish reasonable suspicion is completely legal...

My question is; is a minor even able to give consent for a search?

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The dog "hit on" my vehicle in high school. They drug me out of class and searched my truck. I stand their making jokes with the Sheriff's deputies grant money bought for the school, before they got security guys. The angry, pallid, stick figure of a closeted gay yet married to a woman he probably never touched man than was my assistant principal emerged holding a tube of super glue. I used it to glue the replacement Bakelite handles on the metal levers when I redid my heater controls. This guy walked around with a permanent scowl on his face and when he spoke he very clearly forced his voice to be lower and raspier than his natural speaking voice.

He told me "this is an inhalant" and I laughed in his face.
He asked me if I thought this was a joke.
I told him I thought he was a joke.
If I want to do drugs I can do better drugs than glue.
Please, I beg you, call my parents and tell them you caught me "with an inhalant".

He also asked why I had a lighter.
To light things, mainly, I said.

He returned my "inhalant" and that was the end of it. I regretted giving him consent. I should have thrown a ring-tailed fit and got out of class for more than 20 minutes. My parents were livid when I told them.

We signed an agreement when we got our parking permits, IIRC. Still, it was asinine. Glad some formerly bullied school principal on a power high pulls teenagers out of class for that. That's what school is all about.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He saw no dog he said. I know h gave consent and that made it legal but I told him if it happens again to call me and do nothing else.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wouldn't the parking lot be school property, meaning they can do what they want. You consent when you drive on their property. Just a thought. I have been wrong before.

Latest posts

Top Bottom