Drugs n Guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they serve good time on the outside, let them have the right to defend themselves.

Violent criminals should be denied those rights forever. They have proven they don't deserve that right.

Rights come from the Creator, not from man or government.

If someone is dangerous, lock him up; if he's free, he deserves to have his rights--all of them--respected.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many are making the assumption that prison is the whole sentence. Losing rights after conviction is part of the sentence. It is not like the felons didnt [sic] know they were commiting [sic] a felonious action that would have lifelong consequences. People have to be held accountable for their actions.

Ever heard of the Lautenberg Amendment?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many are making the assumption that prison is the whole sentence. Losing rights after conviction is part of the sentence. It is not like the felons didnt know they were commiting a felonious action that would have lifelong consequences. People have to be held accountable for their actions.

But what you are not getting is that criminals don't care. If they are out walking among us they consider themselves equal. Not voting, not being able to have certain rights LEGALLY is of no concern to them. They'll just buy a gun anyway if they want because, well, they are criminals. If they were looking at potential life in prison (depending on age) for a second or third offense they might rethink it. If not so be it, throw away the key, it's their choice. So I agree with your last sentence.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a hard ass too, and have read the stats of incarcerated felons getting right back into the game because they never left the game while in prison.

That is my issue. The detention center in a Baltimore thread that was ran by the prisoners for years is a prime example.

If they serve good time on the outside, let them have the right to defend themselves.

Violent criminals should be denied those rights forever. They have proven they don't deserve that right.

But like said before, those basic rights are not ours to take away, they come from the creator. Self defense is one.

If someone served 20 to 30 real years they'll likely be a very different person when let out. When a gang banger gets out at 40-50 years old, I'm thinking he's going to have different priorities than the 24 year old who only did 5 years for the same violent crime like is common now.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But like said before, those basic rights are not ours to take away, they come from the creator. Self defense is one.

If someone served 20 to 30 real years they'll likely be a very different person when let out. When a gang banger gets out at 40-50 years old, I'm thinking he's going to have different priorities than the 24 year old who only did 5 years for the same violent crime like is common now.

I hope that is true. But I'm not sure.

Prison becomes their home. My last duty station was Ft Leavenworth Ks. My neighbors on both sides were correction officers, and my commanding officer was a buddy of the Leavenworth Prison warden.

One guy that spent 40+ years there, and earned over $20K in money during his time working in the system was arrested two days after his release stealing a vehicle. He had the $20K in his possession.
Another guy that was a trustee, had enough freedom that he was allowed outside the walls to maintain the gardens/flower beds of the staff housing on the property without supervision.
He commonly walked across the street to the convience store to buy soda's.

A week before his time was up, he walked away and had to call the prison to report his own escape. He was in his 70's and had killed his parents when he was 17. He had no life other than prison. That was his life.

That is the reason I say they need some time to assimilate back into society before getting a gun legally.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope that is true. But I'm not sure.

Prison becomes their home. My last duty station was Ft Leavenworth Ks. My neighbors on both sides were correction officers, and my commanding officer was a buddy of the Leavenworth Prison warden.

One guy that spent 40+ years there, and earned over $20K in money during his time working in the system was arrested two days after his release stealing a vehicle. He had the $20K in his possession.
Another guy that was a trustee, had enough freedom that he was allowed outside the walls to maintain the gardens/flower beds of the staff housing on the property without supervision.
He commonly walked across the street to the convience store to buy soda's.

A week before his time was up, he walked away and had to call the prison to report his own escape. He was in his 70's and had killed his parents when he was 17. He had no life other than prison. That was his life.

That is the reason I say they need some time to assimilate back into society before getting a gun legally.

That's a really good argument for prison reform. The system we have now throws people out on the streets with no ability to function in normal society. If we're going to call it the Department of Corrections, maybe we ought to be helping them correct themselves.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There isn't any. To wit:

More laws won't change a thing, druryj just wants to exercise control over people because he thinks he's better than them, same as all statists.

Not quite true. But hey, like I said earlier, whatever. Call or write your legislators, lobby for what you think is right, vote as you see fit. We don't always have to agree, but we do need to follow the law, don't you think?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Come on; of course he can get a gun when (if) he gets out. But it will be illegal and only add to his problems if he commits more crimes and gets caught. But hey, whatever.

So what's the benefit?

How are we serfs any safer if he can still get a gun? How do we benefit from adding on charges for rule-breaking where there is no victim?

Latest posts

Top Bottom