E15 gasoline

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TulsaMike

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I should get more hp due to more aggressive tuning since it would be harder to get premature detonations, not a lot but 5-10% more hp, but 1/3 less mpg. I can really crank up the tune and it runs a bit cooler. Which is why I’m only interested when e85 is 2/3 the price of 91. Well, I’m interested all the time, stil haven’t pulled the trigger. I just hate e85s hygroscopic properties and I let that car sit a bit, which doesn’t work well with e85.

id take 300 hp over awd in a brz :)
It sounds like you’ve done your research! It absolutely absorbs water and really shouldn’t sit for more than 2-3 weeks. If I have to travel I always go back to gasoline while the car sits. As far as power increase, naturally aspirated most cars can get 15-20 hp out of ethanol if they are higher compression, but boosted cars it’s significant, my Audi and cobra both picked up about 200 hp over 91 octane with the additional boost/timing and cooling ability of e85.

TulsaMike

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can test the ethanol concentration with one of these:

Tester.

My Tundra is flex fuel, while I do get less MPG it def runs like a scalded ass ape on it lol. I feel like I break even on cost vs mpg running it and out here most places don't have E85 so I don't worry about it.
Most of the kum and go stations do, and it’s usually $2.19 a gallon :) I had a supercharged tundra, but unfortunately had to disable the flex fuel when I put the blower on due to lack of tuning and fuel system parts to handle the higher fuel requirements of e85. My Escalade project is about half way done though, I did a 1500 hp fuel system in it so I could leave it flex fuel with the added boost and horsepower.

SiGArmed

Deplorable
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the kum and go stations do, and it’s usually $2.19 a gallon :) I had a supercharged tundra, but unfortunately had to disable the flex fuel when I put the blower on due to lack of tuning and fuel system parts to handle the higher fuel requirements of e85. My Escalade project is about half way done though, I did a 1500 hp fuel system in it so I could leave it flex fuel with the added boost and horsepower.

Yeah I'm in Chandler. Out here its "i DoNt WuNt nuh CorN iN MuH GAs!" types.

What I really need to SC is my old 4Runner that thing is slooooow lol

TulsaMike

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wifes CRV does good on it. My old Jeep and everything else is 100%. Even if I have to take extra with me when we tow the Jeep to run it.
When I had my Cobra on e85, I’d get maybe 180 miles to a tank so I’d always have two 5 gallon containers of fuel in the trunk… that was when I lived in Arizona though and each station was about 25 miles away in any direction :(

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven’t done the math but I’ve often wondered about ethanol in fuel. Less cost at the pump but less mileage than pure gas. Do you really save anything? If not, buying pure gas makes more sense to me.
Majority of population pays no attention to gas mileage or has a clue how to compare the costs. All they know or care is $20 fills the tank vs $25 on 100%.

What is the TRUE cost of ethanol. How much taxpayer money is being paid in subsidies, to make you feel good about paying that $2.59. When Trump policies had gas @ $1.79 for 3 years?

If ethanol is such a good thing, why subsidize? Same as wind and solar, let them make it on their own. No subsidies.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to mix my own fuel concoction and back in the 1992 era it was costing me about $5 a gallon to have a formula that my Nova really loved.
MTBE, TEL, and Toluene on top of the Pink 93 octane from Sinclair.
That mix smelled like candy when it burned :)

TulsaMike

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Majority of population pays no attention to gas mileage or has a clue how to compare the costs. All they know or care is $20 fills the tank vs $25 on 100%.

What is the TRUE cost of ethanol. How much taxpayer money is being paid in subsidies, to make you feel good about paying that $2.59. When Trump policies had gas @ $1.79 for 3 years?

If ethanol is such a good thing, why subsidize? Same as wind and solar, let them make it on their own. No subsidies.
Ethanol has many good qualities, but it’s been proven that it’s no better for the environment than gasoline. It’s being subsidized because it’s very expensive to make (3 versions, one from corn, one from sugar, and one synthetic), and al gore has already sold the world on how important it is, so can’t make him look bad. I like it because it keeps your engine clean, the octane rating and it’s cheap.

TulsaMike

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom