Earthquakes in Edmond

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/southcentral/2015/03/04/359352.htm

Oklahoma insurance commission is on the ball. But ultimately the gas companies should reimburse for damage and decide if it's worth it.

Reading that makes it seem we are stuck in the middle since the science is "not settled".

Regular homeowners policy can deny a claim based on earthquakes being an act of God, and earthquake policies can deny a claim based on the quakes being man made.

So keep paying those premiums!

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had earthquake insurance with Farmers but I cancelled it.
It only pays after the 5% deductible so only a catastrophic loss would exceed the deductible.
Insurance guy told me there is NO WAY that Farmers could pay the thousands of claims that would result from a 6.0 or greater quake.
They would file bankruptcy.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For those interested you can view a map of registered wastewater injection wells as well as earthquakes here:

http://earthquakes.ok.gov/what-we-know/earthquake-map/

If you toggle on a year or more of earthquakes you have to give it a few seconds to add that earthquake layer.

Over on the right bottom you can toggle on the wastewater injection well layer.

If you zoom in it looks like this:

[Broken External Image]

The quake on the left is today's quake and the one on the right is from 2 days ago.

Thank you for posting this. I have the MS Excel file with the owner, location, etc. of the injection / disposal wells located in the state. There are 1000s if not 10,000. Those two wells on Sooner look highly suspicious to me. There is also a cluster of 5 wells about 4 or 5 miles west of these recent quakes. I'm going to try and identify the well owner(s) from the data I have.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll have to verify my data but it looks like that closest disposal well operator is Pedestal Oil Company, drilled to a depth of 5800 ft. They are the only one in my data with a well located in Section 17 T14N R2W. The well is listed as active but I don't have any data on monthly disposal volume. The well type is listed as 2Rln; anybody know what this means? It looks like the other wells about 3 to 4 miles to the west are operated by Castella, Inc. Those wells are around 6000 ft deep and do show disposal volumes and pressure in 2014.

I bet those big house owners in Fairfax and Iron Horse Ranch are pissed-off.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2R is a class 2 recovery well.

Class II UIC wells are used for two basic purposes in the oil and gas sector, enhanced oil recovery injection (i.e., EORI or 2R)
and salt water disposal (i.e., SWD or 2D).
UIC wells of the 2R type are designed to inject fluids (water and/or CO 2 )into the subsurface to mobilize oil and/or gas into production wells.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not an oil man. Does that mean no disposal at that well?
I think it means they inject water and or CO2 to facilitate oil production there.
If it was a salt water disposal well it would be 2D instead of 2R.

The Hunton dewatering project that caused the 5.6 quake in 2011 should be classified as a recovery well too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom