Edmond(heartland) Gun Range incident?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All,

I was asked to briefly explain what we believe happened at Heartland Outdoors on Tuesday night, April 13, 2010. I was present at the store helping with an SDA class.

There was a customer shooting a 1911 type .45cal handgun on the firing line. They had placed a 50 round box of ammo on the shooting bench, directly under the handgun, while in the firing position. The ammo was in the 50 round plastic sectioned tray, with the primer side up, because the customer had removed the cardboard portion of the box, so it was not covering the exposed primers of the ammo.

They had loaded the magazine with eight rounds of ammo and began to shoot.
Somehow during the string of fire, the magazine (containing three rounds of .45 cal 230gr ammo) dropped from the gun, struck one of the rounds in the box that was closest to the customer and it detonated. This caused the case to “explode” and some parts of it impacted the customer. This type of “accident” in labeled an “Accidental Detonation”.

The customer notified the range personnel, who immediately called 911 and the response was very good!!! Ambulance, fire and police showed up FAST!!! The customer was then transported to emergency care (I’ll not comment on the severity of the injury, other than to say they were released from the hospital the next day). To address the comments of why such a large response from emergency services, too much is normally better than not enough, at least that’s my thoughts.

We hope to see you at Heartland Outdoors soon!!!

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thats a little close to home for me. About 6 years ago I had a nearly new, McCormick Colt factory mag do a high speed ejection of it's floorplate.

About 6 rounds of FMJ went skittering all over the range floor... the pistol locked open... and I began to check to see where I may be bleeding.

No harm no foul, in my case... I can see how someone can ding a primer and blow up some ammo when things go wrong like that.

natgas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very freaky accident!

Hopefully, everyone is ok and no permanent damage.

I suppose we can expect to see some kind of 'signage' reminding people to keep ammo away from the lane! :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom