Electric water heater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberslider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got an electric water heater that is 220/230/240 volt but it is on 2 - 20 amp single pole breakers and it keeps tripping one of the breakers. Any one know have an idea why? Weak breaker? Heating element(s) going bad?

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would guess it's shorting somewhere, but I'm no electrician.

Breaker is cheaper than a water heater. I guess you could change that before calling an expert and see what happens.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First off. . . The WH should be fed a breaker that has the two poles tied together. if not put it on your to do list

Second. . . youll need to check the amount of current the heater is pulling on each leg and let us know. it could be a bad breaker or more likely a bad stat keeping both elements on at the same time.it would also be nice to know how many watts the elements are. there are better ways to test but i dont know your skill level

murphy j

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got an electric water heater that is 220/230/240 volt but it is on 2 - 20 amp single pole breakers and it keeps tripping one of the breakers. Any one know have an idea why? Weak breaker? Heating element(s) going bad?

First off. . . The WH should be fed a breaker that has the two poles tied together. if not put it on your to do list

Second. . . youll need to check the amount of current the heater is pulling on each leg and let us know. it could be a bad breaker or more likely a bad stat keeping both elements on at the same time.it would also be nice to know how many watts the elements are. there are better ways to test but i dont know your skill level

I'm an Electrician and the above is sound advice. If I had to guess without doing any testing, then my first guess would be a weak breaker.

cyberslider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
snip...i dont know your skill level

Well, skilled enough to know that household electricity is scary to me. I have a multi-meter but I haven't used it on anything but automotive electricity. Don't have a clue how to get the measurement you are asking for.

The tag on the side of the tank reads:

Upper element watts
Lower element 5500/4000 watts
Maximum: 5500/4000 watts

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You need an experienced electrician to look at it. Where are you located in on my phone and can't see locations. Pm me if you need someone to come out I'll cut you the osa deal.

cyberslider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Dowmace. I think I'm too far from you. I'm near OKC.

I can change the breaker out. I know how to cut the power to the breaker box (and I'm not scared to do that :) ) so, I could take care of the 2 - single pole breakers and replace with a double pole 20 amper.

I believe I will do that and then see where it goes.

Thanks everyone. I'll keep you posted.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When the breaker trips... is it hot or warm to the touch? Tug on the wire going to the breaker that keeps tripping... you may have a slightly loose connection. We had a breaker that kept tripping... turned out that the set screw had backed off about 1/4 of a turn [probably due to yrs of the AC / heating blower vibration] and the bad connection was causng the breaker to get hot & trip. I tightened up the screw and the problem was solved.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
20A? Old house? Old water heater? Newer water heaters (even not so new) are designed for double pole 30A. But you can't just replace the 20A with a 30A unless the wire size is adequate.

You really should have an electrician look at it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom