Electric water heater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy j

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
5500watts/240v=22.92 amps. Isn't the 20a breaker too small?

This is correct. Breaker is too small, so now I wonder if the wire is sized right. Cyberslider.... Do you know how to tell the difference in wire sizes? it needs to be #10 wire and a 30 amp breaker. If you don't know what you're looking at, then I highly suggest you get someone out there who does. I'd also suggest a home electrical inspection to determine if there's any other shady/shoddy/potentially unsafe work done.

cyberslider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't done anything yet.

The house was built/remodeled about 30 years ago by the previous owner who probably shouldn't have been doing that kind of work. The house is out in the country so I guess the guy either saw no need to get it inspected or didn't care. He did live in it for 30 years though...

The water tank was replaced a year or so ago so maybe the tank that was there was OK as far as the breaker amperage and the new one is not? I don't know the specs on the old tank. I do remember seeing a sticker on it that said 1990. It is the same gallon size though so, probably the same element wattage? I don't know.

I can tell what gauge the wire is. Completely forgot about Ohms law. Makes sense that the breaker is too small. Yep, I don't work with electricity too much. I've replaced a ceiling fan or two and changed out some light switches and outlets. That's about the extent of it.

Thanks everyone.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is why you have inspections on your projects,whether you do it or hire a contractor!
Unless you hire a contractor, or decide to take the project on yourself( youll still need an inspection)
Unfortunely .. Most Home Inspectors know little about trade work, so they may not be much hel
Long way around sayin get an electrician.

/On a side note , Insurance companys are starting to ..not pay claims if equiptment is not Inspected.
Believe it or not inspectors are not there to bust your chops, theyre there to make sure its safe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom